Use for a low-power motor in the brewery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daksin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All- I have access to a few brand new motors from work, for free. They're pretty low power though, not strong enough to drive a mill or anything. Wondering if anyone has motorized any other brewing equipment.

The spec sheets for the motor can be found here:

http://www.msitec.com/vendors/MCG/PDF/ID23004.pdf

Basically, the specs are
4100RPM, 131W, 60V DC
Tcr = 2.7 lb-in
Tpr = 5.4lb-in

I'm at a loss but am always up for a little electrical/mechanical DIY. If not, I will have to find some other use for it:rockin:

The onlyest thing I can think of is attach a shaft with a tiny propeller blade to hang down in a HLT to stir things and prevent temperature stratification. It would have to be a small diameter propeller (or fan blade) because of the high RPM's. Then there's the power supply issue if you don't already have one....

Cooling fan for the brewer maybe?

The onlyest thing I can think of is attach a shaft with a tiny propeller blade to hang down in a HLT to stir things and prevent temperature stratification. It would have to be a small diameter propeller (or fan blade) because of the high RPM's. Then there's the power supply issue if you don't already have one....

Cooling fan for the brewer maybe?

Haha, I like those ideas. Power supplies/gears aren't an issue.

If you can control the speed, you could make a stirplate. Or a fan for a control panel. Or put a small weight on one side the shaft and make a vibrating motor for continually shaking hops into the kettle (like Dogfish Head did). If you can keep it protected from steam, you could maybe create a whirlpooling device. Not much else comes to mind.

It's a pretty big motor, but I do like the idea of having another stir plate. A continuous hopper would be pretty awesome as well!

Back