Hopping Methods

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jamil had an article about adding huge amounts of hops very late in the boil, none boiled over 20 minutes. That is wierd by conventional wisdom, but I am not sure what else you are looking for! Are you looking for more hop flavor or just wanting to know if anyone has done some freakish experimentation?

How about filling a cornie full of hops right off of the bine and using it as a Randall? Worked well, but I really should have moved the leftovers to another cornie. After two weeks, it started tasting like grass (as in Kentucky bluegrass).

I know one guy who has done several experiments with mash hopping. He feels it is a waste of hops.

I'm a fan of First Wort Hopping for a fresh and grassy summertime flavor.

I have also soaked hops in grain alcohol for a week and added the extraction to the secondary. I'm still unsure how much bitterness was really extracted. I tried this on a low bitterness beer, but would be willing to experiment further.

I made a braggot on Friday with 5 ounces of hops boiled no longer than 15 minutes. That's about the weirdest thing I've ever done (which isn't really that weird). I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Well, there is this weird way which led to DFH's contiuously hopped ales.

We did some experimenting and some taste-testing (by far, the best part of our jobs!) and came up with a continual hopping regimen. We McGuyver-ed an old-fashioned football game (the kind that vibrated) to slowly, but surely dump the pellets into the beer during the length entire boil - we really liked the result and the 60 Minute IPA was born (the boil time for that beer is..... ta-da... 60 minutes long)! We feel the beer retains the best of the hops flavor and aroma without a hop-wallop in-your-face assault.
The football game didn't last too long (it got wet), so we built Sir Hops Alot (a machine we invented that perfected the continual hop regimen) for our 50-bbl brewhouse. When we upgraded to our 100-bbl brewhouse, Sir Hops Alot was retired and we brought in our latest invention Sofa King Hoppy (a bigger, badder invention that allows for continual hopping).

http://www.dogfish.com/news/Why_Do_The_Minutes_Matter./875/20070514/index.htm

david_42 said:
After two weeks, it started tasting like grass (as in Kentucky bluegrass).

Okay, I gotta ask. How does one go about knowing how a specific strand of grass tastes? How do you differentiate say between Kentucky Bluegrass and a fine fescue? ;)

How about serving your IPA with fresh hop buds on the edge of the glass. What better way to add hop aroma!

Special Ed said:
How about serving your IPA with fresh hop buds on the edge of the glass. What better way to add hop aroma!
Interesting are you sugesting that i add a couple of hop flowers directly to the glass of beer?

If you're looking for something different this would fit the bill. I don't know if I would float it in the beer, but if you had one that could somehow be wedged on the edge of the glass like is normally done with fruit, I think it would be kind of cool. Call it a Hop Garnish.

i was at the fredricksburg brewery a few months back and tried their hopnitized ipa. it was a special edition ipa brewed to celebrate their 13th anniversary. they used 13 different hop additions. i talked to the brewmaster and he told me that they start out by adding hops in the mash tun. they then use numerous additions throughout the entire process and end up pushing the beer through a randall fill with fresh amarillo leaf hops. damn fine ipa! he was kind enough to write down each hop they used and in what order, but i had a few too many pints that night and i seem to have misplaced the list. i thought the mash tun addition was pretty cool though.

Back