Brewed the other day and didn't hit my OG gravity. Would you:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J187

Reaction score
I brewed a pumpkin the other day, extract brew, and came up about .010 from what I expected the OG to be. It's been fermenting for two days. I'm having second thoughts now as to whether I should boil up some dextrose and add it to the wort to increase the gravity or just keep as is.

If you added all extract required, added your correct amount of water, you hit your OG. Just didn't mix it enough to get a proper reading.

What kind of pumpkin did you use? Usually it's cooked then mashed with the grain...how did you use it in an extract batch?

Plus dextrose would just add an abv bump and thin out your beer. Leave it be.

Wouldn't it not add any ABV if it just brought me to my target OG in the first place?

What kind of pumpkin did you use? Usually it's cooked then mashed with the grain...how did you use it in an extract batch?

I cubed it and baked it. It was soft and mushy and I steeped in the boil for 40 min. It seemed to work quite well surprisingly, it imparted a nice color and a nice aroma.

If you added all extract required, added your correct amount of water, you hit your OG. Just didn't mix it enough to get a proper reading.

What do you mean didn't mix it? Didn't mix what? I stirred the wort for the entire 60 min boil. I used exactly the right amount of malt.

Oh, 3 Gallon boil and I promise you the top off was mixed well. I really don't know why I didn't hit my gravity unless the target was wrong in the first place. I'll leave it be.

Oh, 3 Gallon boil and I promise you the top off was mixed well. I really don't know why I didn't hit my gravity unless the target was wrong in the first place. I'll leave it be.
the target was wrong or the ingredient weights were wrong. I'd leave it.

Lots of people here are quick to jump on the top up water not being mixed.
I'd really like to see a youtube video of exactly what process people are using to add top up water and manage to not get it mixed. I don't know if they are slowly pouring into a bucket or what. Its something thats never happened to me.

Back