Is this ascam??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be leery since doing a google about it only netted that same link, and no mention anywhere else. Plus the website is a little too simple, they don't talk about what exactly the cooling process is, which has been one of the stumbling blocks to this technology.

I hope it is real, and works, but I would wait a few weeks/months til I started to see more about it online before ordering one. If it is real I want one. Of Course.

I'd be leery since doing a google about it only netted that same link, and no mention anywhere else. Plus the website is a little too simple, they don't talk about what exactly the cooling process is, which has been one of the stumbling blocks to this technology.

I hope it is real, and works, but I would wait a few weeks/months til I started to see more about it online before ordering one. If it is real I want one. Of Course.

Ya, the pic looks doctored to me. Do we have a scam alert section to HBT.com? This is the kind of scam where someone sets up and takes orders and never delivers. Still... would be great.

It looks like a fairly new site but chopped together drawings instead of actual products make me leery. Also their description of how it works leaves a lot to be desired. Their contact link just brings up an email address and finally trying to order just brings up the notice below. Me thinks someone has the cart infront of the horse. Just my 2 cents.

Capture.JPG

Might be worth putting out a scam alert. Or contacting them and seeing what they say.

Looks like someone hosted a test version of their website before finishing. I pity the fool that buys a $150....well ANYTHING really without a picture first. I doubt its a scam, it's THAT bad of a website.

I'd like to know what they're running as a chiller....It doesn't show any external hoses like to some sort of circulating glycol or ice water system....Heating's the easy part, but coming up with a cheap cooling method is the difficulty.

The cooling method appears to be thermoelectric (TEC) according to the second sentence in the How does it Work section. This is a well known solid state process that most very small refrigerators and table top wine coolers use to keep things cold. I would still be leery of the claims though as there are limits to how efficient the TEC works.

Here's a good site to explain:

http://www.tec-microsystems.com/EN/Intro_Thermoelectric_Coolers.html

Come on guys its got a 100% moneyback guarantee, you will just never be able to get any information on how to return.

Looking at the other domains from his IP there is nothing too suspicious. There is altitudecoffee.com which has a write-up in The Columbus Dispatch, but it is written by a "news release" service called PRWeb. But it might be wise to wait for an actual photo of the product.

If it takes 3 days to get it down to 65. Isn't the most important firment time the first three days ?

I emailed them and got a response
Hi Drew,

The Lager Jacket is currently under development and are hoping for a release some time in 2013. We will keep you up to date as we progress, thanks for your interest!

Aaron Walls
The Lager Jacket

you guys kill me with quick to call this a scam. looks like he is legit.

That site has been around a few years. The owner answered questions in a thread here before. Basically the site produces multiple prices when you click "order" so they can see what price drove the most orders.

A quick whois look up shows he is not masked, and is all his personal info. So unless he stole someones id, he didn't purchase additional privacy for his domain. Which means either hes the dumbest scammer or hes legit.

There was someone recently that just used TEC's to make a keggerator. So it is very possible what his concept entails.

I emailed them and got a response

you guys kill me with quick to call this a scam. looks like he is legit.

Well, he's site doesn't explicitly SAY that the product is "under development" does it? Nor does it say it is a "test" website....So if someone sends a check for 150 and he accepts the money, I would say he's running a scam.....

Not saying he's doing that. But his site doesn't say the the product is ready.

Like I said (I never called it a scam, just that it was fishy) noone's yet come up with a truly working TEC fermentation jacket yet, especially one reasonably priced.

There's an ancient Islamic saying, that I've taken to heart where money is concerned, "trust god, but tie up your camels."

The closest anyones come to something like this on a commercial level is that "sleeping bag" thingy that TEX had a drawing for a few months back that you stuck a fermenter in along with frozen water bottles.

I've got an idea for something for my own use but haven't actually put it together yet. So I know how difficult it is to come up with something workable, that's why my suspicions (Yet still hope that they succeed) are out there.

If they're accepting money, then they're a scam....if they are floating a test I hope it succeeds...If it can be done for 150 and works better than my idea, I'll be the first to order one...

Once it's been used by other people and get's positive reviews....

Well, he's site doesn't explicitly SAY that the product is "under development" does it? Nor does it say it is a "test" website....So if someone sends a check for 150 and he accepts the money, I would say he's running a scam.....

Not saying he's doing that. But his site doesn't say the the product is ready.

Did you even click on the order button. I would guess not since this is the message you would have seen if you did.

Thank you for your interest

The Lager Jacket is still under development. Please enter your email address for release updates.

Oh My your bad.:drunk:

So I guess your rant is mute huh

Did you even click on the order button. I would guess not since this is the message you would have seen if you did.

Oh My your bad.:drunk:

So I guess your rant is mute huh

No I didn't, it's good to see. Though I still find it fishy to have a website floating a project that's not finished yet....get's people all curious.

You know, you're awfully pissy about a product that's not even here yet. Why you jumping in our (especially my) **** for something that a) isn't even here yet, and b) I even said, I'd be the first in line if IT WAS AVAILABLE?

Trying to gain some troll points or something? Seriously, there's nothing about this thread, or our naturally curious and protective reactions to warrant your snarkiness..... Everyone in this thread obviously hopes these guys succeed and the product becomes available. We clearly all want something like this...that's NOT the point of this thread.

Just having a discussion about the curiousness of the website. No one's saying this isn't a great idea, and we don't hope this turns out to be true.

No point in being a jerk about our reactions....

*shrug*

No troll points. the fact is I never called out anyone just made an observation one the thread as a whole. I never singled anyone out untill you quoted my post and decided to jump on me so I responded. The way it looks with your last post you are the defensive one and the one getting ****ty. I have no stake in this product although it does look interesting to me. I hope this guy does succeed.

I'm going to jump in and say the seller is extremely lame for showing the product as being for sale, then telling you it's not for sale. Super lame.

This thing has been around for a WHILE. It was lame back then, and it's lame now.

I personally could not care if he succeeds or not. There is no shortage of cooling options available.

If he'd just either come out and say it's a product in development, like a normal person, or finish the damn thing and actually sell it I'd have some compassion.

This guy has still never produced one as far as I can tell. If it's a solid product why not put it on KickStarter. It would be a hell of a thing if it turned out to be the real deal.

Because he put the cart before the horse. I bet he never realized that it's a lot more difficult to come up with a cost effective TEC cooling device than he imagined. There's a lot of threads on here where people have tried. It's one thing to have a cheap tec cooler that can chill a 6 pack of canned beer for around 50 bucks. But even scaling it up to be a able to efficiently cool a 5 gallon fermenter is another. Especially when we can even get a dorm fridge off of craiglist for 25 and for another 45 we can order and wire up an ebay temp controller.

I still hope something like this hits the market. It would be a boon to a lot of brewers. Especially apartment ones.

Wasn't there another thread about this where the "creator" was posting? I seem to recall them being a member here. When the website was active, it was giving people different prices. Someone said that was a common tactic to see who hits the shopping cart to figure out what they can sell it for.

Back