Where to buy gruit spices?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane_lxi

Reaction score
I've been experimenting with strange beers lately, and I've been trying to find spices for gruit. Specifically yarrow and bog myrtle (sweet gail). I can't even find seed to grow it myself. The closest I could find was dried up yarrow pedals on amazon. Any leads? I might have to just use my 22lbs of malt for something else if I can't find these damn spices, lol

Pretty shure midwest supplies has it or Northern Brewer maybe. I got the gail ordered through midwest i think. And used yarrow from a health food store. My beer was all lemony from it.That stuff goes a long way.I went under the suggested recipe also with the yarrow,but got a pretty strong lemon from it.Not shure if its from not using hops though which could have gave it the lemon tartness. Good summer beer though,think i might have one now actually.

Thanks for the reply. How long does this stuff keep for? I've heard gruit beer doesn't last as long as beer with hops

Well,it tastes close to what it did a year ago,but better for me now than before.Ive heard without hops it can sour or go tart,but this is all i know it has tasted for me.Its got a nice aroma of floral-lemon.Fresh yarrow is said to make a difference also.Maybe my dried yarrrow was aged i have no idea.Mines like a lemon shandy pale ale or something without much of any sweetness.Ive heard of differnces though so dont expect yours to turn out like mine did exactly. Maybe i just had old herbs,i dont really know.

Back