• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Culture Vials

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Banking yeast on agar slants, at least that's what I'm doing.

crazyseany said:
what are theses being used for? freezing yeast?

That's my plan. I want to make a frozen yeast bank to save all of the strains I use

I havnt decided if I'm doing slants or frozen bank yet, more reading to do still

I plan on doing a frozen bank once I get my tubes I will pick up some food grade glycerin and hopefully my centrifuge off ebay. Then spin out most of the water add some glycerin and slowly freeze it. I figure if I have 5 different types of yeast and 5 vials of each strain. I can brew what I want and not have to buy yeast for years. Use one vial 5 to 10 time each time washing the yeast cake. then move to the next vial of that yeast rinse and repeat. Once I use up that vial I will then have 2 vials of generation 2 then use up both those go to then next vial rinse and repeat. I know there is math there but I a to lazy to figure it at the moment:D

It is a lot of batches though.

You can do the same thing buy flooding the slant with glycerin. Streak the slant like normal then let it grow for a few days until you get some nice big colonies. Flood it with glycerin. One thing is you need to freeze as fast as you can. slow freezing makes huge ice crystals that kill the yeast. When I buy a Tube or packet of yeast I use it to streak 10 to 20 slants then use the rest to make a starter. I figure I can get about 100 ten gallon batches out of one tube or pack. When I am ready to make a batch I take a slant out of the freezer and into the fridge once it is thawed I will dump most of the glycerin and use a bit of starter wort to rinse the yeast off the slant. That goes into a 250ml starter that is in a 500ml flask. After a day spent spinning I add 100ml more starter and let that go for 12 hours. At that point you can stop or most times I go into a 1000ml or 1500ml starter from there. After you do that once you can use the yeast cake washed or not for up to 10 generations with out re-culturing it.

What do they use as media in the pre made ones? Wouldn't you want to make them with wort?

I just started reading about making slants. So I don't know much about it.

I was thinking of making them myself. I have all the gear I need,to make slants. Pretty much you are doing is using agar to gel starter wort.

Not interested, half the fun is doing it your self! some plates would be cool though, mine are really crappy.

This site should have a slant trade forum. I just figure I would throw it out there. For me it takes about as much time to do 10 as 100 slants.

I agree completely with the trade idea, sand I've thought this for a long time now. So many strains...

They are taking suggestions for new sections right?

I would be up for premade slants for sure. I have a small beaker, just need to get myself a stir plate and I'd be good. You are much easier to get to for me than any LHBS as well.

Check out ebay I got a stir plate for $25 shipped. They have heated ones too but more money. What store do you go to the one in Porter Square? There used to be one up the street from me a pretty big one but I think that the rent got to be too much for them.

I usually hit up Modern Homebrew in Cambridge. I work in Waltham so its only a 15 min drive but its not a fun drive in an out of cambridge most of the time. I poke around ebay for stir plates now and then. Never seen one that cheap. Eventually if i dont find a steal on ebay i'll probably snag a stirstarters.com one.

no mine aren't in that bad of shape. The dial didn't work so i put a new rheostat in it. I think the part cost $5 so I paid $30 really

For those DIY ers a stir plate can be pretty cheap as you may have most of the stuff, or can repurpose stuff from around the house, as I've done. Old Harddrives for magnets, computer fans, and old wall DC adapters (12v works best) and some housing ( I've used a external hard drive enclosure. You may only have to buy a rheostat, maybe.

Very true I just like the lab stuff and I do some 4lter starters from time to time. Also I got a heated one if I need to make a last min starter I can do that fast and easy.

is the purpose of a heated one to keep the wort at like 80 ish so the yeast go nuts and ferment out faster?

Use a deep freeze. If you really want to go nuts liquid nitrogen is great. Also a lab freezer that will do -20f or better will work.

Donovan
I just put in for 40
do you need payment now or can I bring it on the 15th

I will take 25 to be shipped to 12158. Van I pay via Paypal and send shipping address?

Hey all I got the first box of vials and the manufacturer sent the wrong vials. I talked to them and they are sending out a new set that should be here early next week. If I get the second box before then I will send those out to the people on the list in order. If you haven't paid let me know via PM and I will send you my email. If you have paid can you send me your mailling address again and the email that you used to pay. Sorry for the delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back