Wyeast Packs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they all swell up tight like that. the activator packs simply have a larger initial colony. in the past, when I used a propagator pack, it took a full day to swell. activator takes like 2-3 hours.

another question to add to this...what is the difference between the propigator and the regular smack packs?

mot said:
another question to add to this...what is the difference between the propigator and the regular smack packs?

Basically, the amount of yeast. The regular smack packs are made with enough yeast that, theoretically, they can be pitched directly into the wort. The 'propogator' packs are used for making starters.

gnets99 said:
Basically, the amount of yeast. The regular smack packs are made with enough yeast that, theoretically, they can be pitched directly into the wort. The 'propogator' packs are used for making starters.

are the propogators cheaper? I havent priced them I have always just used the smack packs to make starters, if they have more cell count wont making starters out of them vs making a starter out of the prop...get you a better starter

mot said:
are the propogators cheaper? I havent priced them I have always just used the smack packs to make starters
yep, but only a couple of bucks, i think...

mot said:
if they have more cell count wont making starters out of them vs making a starter out of the prop...get you a better starter
yep

Back