Custom CO2 Distributor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneOakDesign

Reaction score
I'm in the process of building a kegerator that will hold 5 cornelius kegs when completed. has anyone built or designed their own CO2 distributor?? or, can you point the way to a how-to that might help? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

OOOH - thank you, ollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllo - I'm trying to design one myself, that PDF has all the McMaster parts! That rocks, they'll be here Thursday :D

you guys rock! thanks for the help. if, and when, this project is ever completed, i'll post some pics. it's a stand up deep freeze and i have high expectations for it.

the_bird said:
OOOH - thank you, ollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllo - I'm trying to design one myself, that PDF has all the McMaster parts! That rocks, they'll be here Thursday :D

Heh heh heh - where do you think I came up with this? That fridge project is cool! (no pun inteneded, actually!)

7674-KeezerManifold.jpg

Anyone built (or seen) one of these with gas regs on the exit side?

I'm toying with early plans for an 8- or 10-tap chest freezer conversion, and would like to be able to run 2-3 different pressures (hey, if I'm going this far, why compromise with extra-fizzy Bitters and not-quite-fizzy Hefes?). Could just set up 2-3 tanks/regs, I suppose, but a 1-tank setup with regs after the split seems more elegant

Jester369 said:
Heh heh heh - where do you think I came up with this? That fridge project is cool! (no pun inteneded, actually!)

7674-KeezerManifold.jpg

Ok am I on crack or what? I added most of those parts to a McMaster-Carr shopping list (I scaled mine down to a 3 port version rather than the 6 port version) and my total before shipping was $60.80. If I would have went the 6 port version I'd be looking at least $85+.

Why not just buy one of these for $65?

5332.jpg

HarvInSTL said:
Ok am I on crack or what? I added most of those parts to a McMaster-Carr shopping list (I scaled mine down to a 3 port version rather than the 6 port version) and my total before shipping was $60.80. If I would have went the 6 port version I'd be looking at least $85+.

Why not just buy one of these for $65?

5332.jpg

I wanted to give PC connections a go. Compared to the total cost of the project, $20 really didn't seem that big a deal. :mug:

Bobby M has a couple of how-to videos for his kegerator project. If I remember correctly, he used a manifold that had regulators on it to adjust pressures in each keg. I think he said he got it off of Ebay for about $50.

I used Tnlandsailors plan as a guide and built a 4 port manifold with the PC fittings. They work great and have never had one leak. They are worth the extra money.

Jester369 said:
I wanted to give PC connections a go. Compared to the total cost of the project, $20 really didn't seem that big a deal. :mug:

Good point, is there a cheaper place to get any of these exact parts?

I've seen some posts that have said that McMaster-Carr isn't normally the cheapest, but you get your order very quickly.

Thoughts?

HarvInSTL said:
Good point, is there a cheaper place to get any of these exact parts?

I've seen some posts that have said that McMaster-Carr isn't normally the cheapest, but you get your order very quickly.

Thoughts?

Not sure where, but there have to be other sources. I use McMaster more out of convenience than anyting else - we order from them all the time, and I just add in what I need to whatever order I happen to be placing for the company. Of course, the one stop shopping with tiny shipping charges probably would balance out having to source from 3-4 separate vendors each with their own shipping. I'm just too lazy to look beyond McM. :D

Hhmm, anybody have success finding the gas side keg fitting adapter? The brass one that screws onto the gas out, with pc fitting.
Gas%20Keg%20Fitting.JPG

This picture looks different than the keg fitting picture in the PDF instructions on page 9 of 19TheGreatFridgeProject.pdf. I'd post picture but I can't get the picture

Thanks for that link. I don't know why I couldn't find it on that web page, did look for it.

I discovered a Parker Store just down the road from my house. Checked it out yesterday and they got all kinda goodies. I should be able to find something there.

You can run your primary regulator at your higher "hefe" pressure into a manifold with a few outputs, one of which hits the input of this secondary reg: http://cgi.ebay.com/Cornelius-Secondary-Regulator_W0QQitemZ230147570791QQihZ013QQ

Then take the output of that and run it into another small manifold with a few more taps. That gives you multiple pressures (two) with a few gas lines off each.

I did happen to find a 3-reg secondary bank giving me up to 4 different pressures. I don't think it's necessary... two is enough.

I added up the parts for that 6 way manifold on McMaster and it came to $99 and some change....with the PC fittings. I don't mind barb fittings so I'm going to use those but if that's the case price-wise with TNlandSailor's distributor and the one from MoreBeer that has check valves on each output I think I'll save myself $30 and go with that one. Well, that is unless anyone knows of any other site with something similar for less $$$. Always looking for a deal! I don't mind working a little harder to save some money in the longrun....

Also, I can explain it that way to the wife..."Honey, I got the cheaper one even though it requires a little more work I my end. Look at this much more expensive (thing) I could have bought instead. See, I saved us some money!" and then all is well.....in theory.

ModlrMike said:
Here's a picture of the 3 way distributor that I built today. About $25 to complete.

100_0664.jpg
Looks good, Mike. That manifold looks just like the one I picked up at Princess Auto.

Where did you get those shut-off valves?

The manifold is indeed from Princess Auto, as are the barb connectors. I got the valves and nipples from Gregg distributors. I think they have an outlet in Burns Industrial Park and Foothills Industrial Park. Each valve was about 4 bucks. The part number for the valve is "MINI-BV-1/4". I will probably add another 3 inch nipple on the back side so that I have something to hang the manifold with.

Cool, thanks! I will check them out. I am need of something just like this, and if I can do it on the cheap, all the better! :mug:

Back