Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably too late....but no need to flip the ribs.

Baby backs and chicken leg quarters on the drum right now.

Went with plan B&C -- Beef Ribs and Chicken.
Using the Weber Kettle this time. I wanted to do a brisket, but alas, fate would have me do otherwise.

Am I supposed to flip these ribs at some point?

I use a rib rack... no flipping, you can get lots of ribs on the grill when they are vertical

Rib%20Rack.jpg

Grilled a few racks and smoked a few over pecan wood. Grilled where bland and dried, smoked are fantastic. Tried a new rub, next time I need less salt and a little more paprika.

Are you doing the whole sholder or just the butt or picnic? I have never seen anybody fit a whole sholder on a 18.5" WSM. Maybe you have the 22.5" model.

Oh no, sorry just the butts. Man we ate good the entire time we were there. Between the beer and the food we had a great time.

Heres a shot of the butt with the brisket underneath. Simply Marvelous Pecan rub with Kingsford original and Pecan for smoke.

Patagonia 2011 099.jpg

Had a great weekend. My first brisket came out awesome. I separated the point and flat because I couldn't fit the 13 lb whole thing on one rack on my 18.5 WSM. Both came out great and everyone (including my wife who said she didn't like brisket) loved it. Between the food, the company and the homebrew it was a great weekend.

And a tip. Brisket hash the next morning is awesome. I found the recipe in smoke and spice.

"Cabin Egg" got a workout this weekend.

Pie
Steak
Ribs
Meatloaf

with a little homebrew on the side.

IMG_8255.jpg

Oh no, sorry just the butts. Man we ate good the entire time we were there. Between the beer and the food we had a great time.

Heres a shot of the butt with the brisket underneath. Simply Marvelous Pecan rub with Kingsford original and Pecan for smoke.

Looks great!

Were you at Patagonia?

My smoker was cold this weekend 8( you guys are killing me with all the smoked goods!

BTW, I have a ton of apple wood to harvest. Anyone want to trade for some other varieties? There isn't much of a selection around here. PM me if you wanna trade.

Desert_Sky said:
I have 15 lbs of butts going on the smoker tonight. Pecan for smoke and SM Pecan for hte rub

Lookin' good. I brewed, washed the deck, cut the grass, played with the kids and smoked a 7lb pork tenderloin that we shared with the family. That was a long day...time for bed.

Had another miserable smoke on Friday. Fortunately, I identified the culprit: new thermometer reads about 30-40 deg high. Saved the day by finishing off the beef and pork ribs in the oven. After 4 hours they had plenty of smoke.

How can someone make and sell a thermo that is so grossly inaccurate?

AAAAND, I'm smoking again.
Chicken this time
Stuffed%20and%20Rubbed_sm.jpg

Bird%20on%20the%20Smoker_sm.jpg

Brined it overnight with:
1 gallon of water
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup sugar
1 bottle mustard seeds
1 tbsp peppercorns
5 bay leaves
2 tbsp Tumeric
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp dried rosemary

Stuffed with 3 meyer lemons
Fresh sage
Fresh Rosemary
Fresh Lemon Thyme

AAAAND, I'm smoking again.
Chicken this time
Stuffed%20and%20Rubbed_sm.jpg

Bird%20on%20the%20Smoker_sm.jpg

Brined it overnight with:
1 gallon of water
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup sugar
1 bottle mustard seeds
1 tbsp peppercorns
5 bay leaves
2 tbsp Tumeric
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp dried rosemary

Stuffed with 3 meyer lemons
Fresh sage
Fresh Rosemary
Fresh Lemon Thyme

Hey ikonis I use my weber the same as you do, it does a good job. The only thing I do different is I place a couple layers of aluminum foil over the portion of the grill grate where the coals are so there is no direct heat hitting the food. But I've never smoked without the foil so I cant say if it actually helps.

I'll be using my kettle this way till i can save up for a WSM or build a UDS.

Ryan

I saw on some cooking show while down at my mom's place where these guys were slicing bologna almost an inch thick, dry rubbing it, adding a BBQ marinade/sauce, and letting it sit overnight before smoking it. Anybody tried that one? It looked great and stupid easy.

hmmm, we used to buy bologna about 1/2" thick, then fry it up with some onions and peppers on it. Makes a great sammich, and used to be a staple at the old Buffalo Auditorium (been a while since I've been to a Sabres game).

jumped into my first adventure with smoking today:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40709022@N07/sets/72157626830145913/

I made a bacon explosion and a small pork shoulder

bacon explosion is amazinnnnnnng! but ive already figured out a few things im going to do different next time.

i think i pulled the shoulder too early... it didnt shred very easily.. so ill work on that next time. but with a little slaw and bbq sauce on a biscuit it tasted damn good. wont be winning any awards, but good enough for me :D

slow-smoked for 5 1/2 hrs over hickory wood (yesterday). mmmmmm! Gonna enjoy these with an American Nut-Brown Ale.
Smoking_Ribs.jpg

This back-yard smoker can actually accommodate 8 full racks (2 smoking racks can each take 4 rib-racks) -a real crowd pleaser!

forgive my stupidity, but what are ABTs? How do you do them, smoke them for how long and at what temp? ALWAYS eager to try new things in that excellent smoke box.
AFTER I get done building and setting up the second firebox to cold-smoke, I'm going to be smoking grains -love smoked porter. Never tried using peat to smoke with but I'm not opposed to it (like Stone Brewings peat-smoked porter) -however, I'm intending to try quite a bit of different woods to smoke with for the grain.

Back