What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was going for somewhere in between an IPA and pale for bitterness but wanted that hop flavor and clean IPA taste. Somehow didn't get the big hop flavor and wound up with a slightly too clean malt bill, IMO.

12lb 2 row
1lb vienna
0.5lb crystal 40
.65oz nugget (60)
2oz cascade (15)
1oz cascade (5)
2oz cascade (dry hop)
S05

IBUs were low, around 45. I think my water has something to do with the lack of hop flavor... either that or the cascades were faded. If I do it again it'll get more bitterness and some more crystal malt.

Regardless, I'm digging it lately :mug:

I am drinking some of my RIS that won an honorable mention in the HBT comp, since I had one leftover in the fridge from when I sent it in.

It is a good beer and I enjoy it, but probably a mistake since I haven't eaten anything since lunch and it's around 10% ABV.

DSC_00058.JPG

Golddiggie said:
Just finished one of my Boddington's Pub Ale clones... Next time I brew it, I'll need to keg it up and serve push via beer gas...

Many many years ago I was up in the North West of england chasing a bit of skirt and her brother took me to his local which served Boddington's bitter when it was a real ale served from a cask on hand pump. I drank about 6 pints and thought to myself that this was rubbish, no effect at all! Until I moved off my bar stool to take a p!ss. Boddingtons used to eork bottom up and my legs fell away and I collapsed on the floor.

Unfortunately the brewery was taken over by one on the big international brewing companies who shut down the ale brewing and started to Market a homogenised, pasteurised, carbonated cr@p under the name of Boddington's.. This happened to so many of the great beers produced in the UK that a presssure group of good beer enthusiasts got together and started the UK's CAMRA - Campaign for Real Ale. Since then our beer has got better and better although there are still lot of people who still drink the "nitrokeg" ****.

jvcjbl said:
Can't say that I like it. It is SUPER carbonated!!

My dad was a pilot with the Royal Air Force and used to fly into Washington often. He likes a beer, but being a Brit, didn't like the over-carbonation of the beers that he could find at that time. We're talking about the 70s and 80s.

His tactic was to stir in a small amount of salt or sugar into his beer which forced out the CO2.

So he ended up with a beer which wasn't too fizzy but the volume reduced to about 80% of what he was originally served.

First carbed taste of my chemnitz's Vespers Abbey Dubbel made w/ homemade candi syrup from snickasaurus' recipe, both found right here on HBT...still a little undercarbed and will definitely will get better with age, but this is freakin AWESOME!!!

Thanks once again HBT :mug:

My dad was a pilot with the Royal Air Force and used to fly into Washington often. He likes a beer, but being a Brit, didn't like the over-carbonation of the beers that he could find at that time. We're talking about the 70s and 80s.

His tactic was to stir in a small amount of salt or sugar into his beer which forced out the CO2.

So he ended up with a beer which wasn't too fizzy but the volume reduced to about 80% of what he was originally served.

Hmm... interesting. I didn't care for the taste but then it was so carbonated for the style it kinda caused a burn sensation.

Ayinger Brau-weisse, brings me to tears it's so damn tasty.

I was just thinkin the same thing as I sipped my Devil's Punchbowl Strong Golden while watchin my Spurs seal this game...damn Memphis is a tough bunch o' bastards!!!

Love me some Manu, Go Hornets :D

I was just thinkin the same thing as I sipped my Devil's Punchbowl Strong Golden while watchin my Spurs seal this game...damn Memphis is a tough bunch o' bastards!!!

Love me some Manu, Go Hornets :D

What part of the Hill Country are you in (I only ask because that is probably my favorite part of the state)?

And GO SPURS!

At the King and Queen pub sitting in the garden. Real Ale festival. 22 to sample.

Kent Brewery Zingiber - a ginger summer pale ale 3.8%
Westerham Brewery "Alt Ego" - a cask conditioned version of a German Alt Bier 4.2%

Only 20 more to try over the weekend.

If anyone I'd interested, I'll post the complete list here. Let me know

Last night: 22 Oz Victory Helios
tonight: 750 ml Avila Dubbel...can't wait for that one...
tomorrow: Ommegang Hennepin

What part of the Hill Country are you in (I only ask because that is probably my favorite part of the state)?

And GO SPURS!

Somewhere in the Texas triangle :D

Ska ESB Special Ale on the advice of jvcjbl. I wholeheartedly agree, a pleasant surprise! I will be searching out a recipe for this one. And I'm moving just a couple of hours away from Ska for grad school...Awesome :mug:

Real Ale Lost Gold IPA...I am soooooo glad I talked myself into supporting the local brewery!!! This is a fantastic IPA. Well balanced but hop dominant. I will have to do a side by side tomorrow with Racer 5 (one of my favorites), but I think this is comparable. The head did not stick around very long but there is nice sticky lacing on the glass. Great grassy piney aroma. Resinous citrusy American hop flavor and biting bitterness that is kept from being overwhelming by the semi-sweet body provided by the Vienna and crystal malts. Real Ale has outdone themselves again...and now it is a year round offering :mug:

Somewhere in the Texas triangle :D

Ska ESB Special Ale on the advice of jvcjbl. I wholeheartedly agree, a pleasant surprise! I will be searching out a recipe for this one. And I'm moving just a couple of hours away from Ska for grad school...Awesome :mug:

Wow!! I am so glad someone actually listened to me. :D

I actually drank two of these tonight!!! Fantastic ESB for a change of pace :mug:

mhenry41h said:
I was looking for some Black and Blue at the bottle shop the other day but they were out!

Had no idea black and blue was already out. I guess I'll have to make a liquor run to see if they have any. My black and red is about 3 months old. Will have to grab another before they are gone again.

wow, that KBS is something else. After reading reviews and hearing from the guys at the distributor, I had to try it out. It's a ton of money, but worth every penny. I was expecting a pretty standard stout but got blown away when I drank the first couple of sips. Chocolate, coffee, and bourbon were the flavors that slapped me in my chubby gullet. I had just finished a round of golf where we did a couple of shots of Jameson at the turn, and this beer brought me back to that shot. For me, it started out as beer, but turned into an after dinner drink, but quickly back to a beer. So much going on in this bottle, I don't know which way to go with it. Definitely an unforgettable beer that just beats you over the head with flavor. Wish I could drink this every day

Back