Peanut Butter Porter-Brewed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colonel_colon

Reaction score
I had made a post a few weeks back, got some feedback on the idea of a peanut butter porter and now its made!

pbporter10no.jpg

pbporter22wl.jpg

The peanut butter doesn't taste like peanut butter as in JIF or Skippy. Because I used an all natural peanut butter (only peanuts, no salt, no additives) it actually tastes more like a nut porter, but the nut is clearly a peanut. It's like having the roasted nuts from a ballgame in a glass.
As for the taste being too overpowering or too subtle, my father-in-law tried it and couldnt taste the peanut, one of my friends thought it was too much peanut. Go figure.

pbporter39mw.jpg

The color is nice and dark, just what I wanted. The only dissapointment is that the head barely lasts a minute. Someone mentioned that it might do that because of the oils in the peanut and I think they're right.

Now if I could only get chocolate in there...

I was wondering what ever happened to that. Congrats on it comming out good! As I recall the thoughts of the nut oils could give you trouble. Doesn't look like you had much trouble to me:) Congrats again!

Wow...weird idea. I would have thought the oils would have given you hell or gone rancid and made it undrinkable.

I think I'll stick to a peanut butter sandwich alongside my porter ;) Glad you like the results.

Cheers :D

Heres the recipe (extract):

5 lbs. pale liquid malt
1 lb crystal 60L
8 oz black malt
10 oz chocolate malt
4 oz roasted barley
2 oz fuggles
6 oz peanut butter (all-natural, no additives, no salt)
london ale yeast

1oz fuggle & 4oz of peanut butter at beginning of boil
1/2 oz fuggle & 2oz peanut butter at 30 min
1/2 oz fuggle with 15 minutes left

i kept it in the primary for 1 week, secondary for 2, and aged it about 3 in the bottles. when i racked the beer (even for bottling) i noticed that the oils went immediately to the top. so it wasnt too hard to rack and leave the oil behind. i guess you could even do a tertiary if things looked really bad.

A buddy brewed "Reeses Peanut Butter Cup Stout".

Basically, a Chocolate Stout with Peanut Butter as you did.

He "conditioned" the PB first by removing much of the oil, first by just pouring it off and later on by wicking it up with a paper towell.

By the time he removed as much of the oil as possible it did not resemble PB as much as it did Peanut Paste.

It was an amazing brew. My wife has been pestering me to make it since. It was amazingly like a Reeses PB Cup.

Food for thought for those of you thinking about it, take your time and remove as much of the oils as possible first.

Cheers,

knewshound

Yeah, when you use the natural peanut butter the oil is at the top seperated. I dumped it out and then hung it upside down with cheesecloth wrapped on the bottom. I kept it like that for a few days and the peanut butter actually became very brittle (almost crumbling).
I had very little oil when I racked to the secondary.

Back