Atomic Buffalo Turds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
ABT's or Atomic Buffalo Turds and Beer. Yuri_Rage visited the BCB yesterday and I put him to work constructing these stuffed Jalapenos while enjoying some BCB IPA.

ABTsandBeer.jpg

This was followed by burgers & more beer and then dessert was cake paired with BCB Robust Porter fresh from the keg.

BCBPorter.jpg
BCBPorter1.jpg

This beer contrasted so nicely with Jester369's glass, I just had to share.

I started making those things when I saw them posted by Ed in an earlier thread, they rock. I'm about due to make another batch.

I clean and devein the Jalapanos then stuff with cream cheese, some garlic salt, and a smokey link sausage. Put the two halves back together, wrap with a piece of center cut bacon, secure with a round toothpick, then smoke with hickory wood at 325 for 45 minutes.

I was making them a bit differently, just wrapping the halves with bacon, but I'll do it the correct way next time. (Also I didn't use the lil smokies). Damn, I want some of these right now.

Those look great Ed. I started making those about a year ago and my friends are always begging me to make them. I must have made at least a thousand of them so far.

I'll have to give those a shot.

I've done crab-stuffed jalapeños and smoked 'em on the WSM after finishing a few pork butts. Crab meat, cream cheese, a little shredded cheddar, and some pineapple in a hollowed out jalapeño half - good eats alongside some pulled pork (Carolina mustard-based BBQ sauce on the side), two smoked turkeys, a few smoked trash fish (mullet and whatnot) and some oysters. That was a nice Thanksgiving.

I was all stoked to go home and make these tonight but being in the military our commissary (grocery store for you civilians) was closed today (many, but not all are closed at least one day of the week). I was not in the mood to go out to town this evening so the ABT's will have to wait until tomorrow.

I love ABTs. Love 'em. I like to add a little shredded cheddar or swiss cheese to the cream cheese, or sometimes some sort of blue cheese to the mix. I also like to add my favorite BBQ rub to the mix.

Usually, I just use some sort of pan sausage, mixed up into the cheese and everything, and stuff away. If you cook them upright, it also helps to take a toothpick and poke a little hole in the bottom to let the grease and juice drip out.

Mmmmmm . . . . ABTs

TL

Gonna make these tonight. Changed up a few things. Doing all turkey low fat stuff. My stomach can't handle the fat in Bacon and sausage. I have never had turkey bacon so that should be interesting.

Ryanh1801 said:
Gonna make these tonight. Changed up a few things. Doing all turkey low fat stuff. My stomach can't handle the fat in Bacon and sausage. I have never had turkey bacon so that should be interesting.

Depending on the brand, turkey bacon can be pretty decent. I think Oscar Meyer makes one of the better ones I've had. It crisps up pretty nicely and has good flavor.

I'm going to have to make some of those up soon. No smoker, but I'd imagine that they'd still be good in the oven.

I have made these for years. (Learned it while living in San Antonio). We always called them Gaum Bombs, I took them home to Ok for the OU Texas football game and my friend changed their name to Rectal Rockets. :eek:

The stuff I got is made by Butterball.. Im not a fan of Bacon anyways, hell I think this is the first time I have ever bought it. But figured just cooking with it on their, will add some flavor to the Jalapeño.

I make these thing every time we even think about a BBQ. I even make them when we are going to discuss when we will bbq. I've never met someone who doesn't like them. Even my mom (THE ORIGINAL SWMBO)..and Applesauce is too spicy for her...but she sucks it up for these.

Nicely done Ryan, nicely done. I ended up getting off work later than planned, then I work late tomorrow, so it looks like I'm waiting until Thursday to kill my ABT craving.

I made ABT's a while back, using peppers we had out back. To this day, I don't know what I did wrong, but those things were so hot they were inedible (SWMBO and I LOVE spicy food). I think I needed to soak the peppers a while to mellow them out.

Way to go Ryan. Did you give some to the firefighters?

Scuba, you need to clean out the seeds & white veins, that will remove a lot of the heat. Cooking them for 45 will remove some too.

Ed, I was just looking through some cooking pictures and saw your thread, so I had to post mine as well.

I have made lots of variations on these and if you haven't you need to try pulled pork or (my swmbo's favorite) rib meat. If I am making St. Louis ribs, I smoke that skirt part first, slice it thin, and put it on ABT's.

Here was the plate of them I made for our Easter BBQ
turds-1.jpg

EdWort said:
Way to go Ryan. Did you give some to the firefighters?

No, I was just getting started, they where pretty cool though.. I'm just wondering what neighbor thought grill smoke was a house fire.:confused:

We cooked up some ABT's this weekend and absolutely loved them! for the filling I used browned italian sausage mixed in with cream cheese, garlic, paprika, salt, pepper, and Cabot sharp cheddar. they were awesome! Thanks for another great suggestion Ed!

Melana said:
We cooked up some ABT's this weekend and absolutely loved them! for the filling I used browned italian sausage mixed in with cream cheese, garlic, paprika, salt, pepper, and Cabot sharp cheddar. they were awesome! Thanks for another great suggestion Ed!

I don't usually care for hot peppers of any sort but these were awesome. Thanks again for the great idea Ed. We made a bunch with pickled cherry peppers and tossed them on the smoker. Hot for me but real good.

Must..barbeque...soon. Weather in mid Missouri has been gray, chilly and wet this spring. The few nice days I'm not stuck at work, I've brewed, which leaves little time or energy for BBQ. Next time I fire up the Weber you can bet your sweet @ss I'm gonna be making some of these though.

Back