Mango Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrZym802

Reaction score
Sooooo, 1st time go all grain.

The recipe to follow is tweaked from an extract version I attempted last year.

Just looking for thoughts/input

MPA v2

Style: American IPA OG: 1.066
Type: All Grain FG: 1.015
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 6.68 %
Calories: 215 IBU's: 68.38
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 5.83 Gal
Color: 9.0 SRM Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.062 Boil Time: 60 minutes

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name
5.00 lbs 37.04 % Maris Otter
7.00 lbs 51.85 % 2-Row Pale Ale Malt
4.00 ozs 1.85 % Briess Carapils
8.00 ozs 3.70 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
4.00 ozs 1.85 % Honey Malt 60
8.00 ozs 3.70 % Extra Light DME

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.75 ozs 21.36 Centennial45 mins 10.00
0.50 ozs 15.73 Citra 30 mins 13.20
0.50 ozs 9.78 Mosaic 15 mins 12.70
0.50 ozs 10.16 Citra 15 mins 13.20
0.50 ozs 7.42 Citra 10 mins 13.20
0.50 ozs 3.93 Mosaic 5 mins 12.70
1.00 ozs Mosaic 10 days 12.70

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.00 pkg American Ale Wyeast Labs 1056

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
1.00 lb Mangos 00 mins Boil

Sent from my iPhone

I just did my first fruit beer, an apricot wheat beer. All the research I did stated to wait until day 3-4 to add fruit. That's my 2 cents. Good luck and make sure to post how it turned out!

Yeah, I thought about that. I plan on a glass Carboy for primary and would think that would make it difficult to add. Also (and I know this will sound silly with all the citra) but I don't want a huge mango flavor. Just enough to add it to the name...

I might lose the MO and go all pale if I was doing an American IPA. Also not sure if 1# mango will get much into the beer? I got a headache reading your hop additions :), better you than me. Good luck.

I'd probably put the mango in the boil, at about 10 minutes. I do something similar with pineapple in my barleywine and I use about 10 ounces, and it's just enough for a hint of pineapple in the beer without any overwhelming flavor.

Last time I added it right before cooling. It did come out a little hazy, so I could make a purée and add it that way I guess after the initial fermentation...not that I could care that the beer was hazy

I added apricot puree to my apricot wheat on the third day in primary. Got great flavor, but ended up with a lot of trub/trash. I tried not to disturb it at bottling, but ended up with quite a bit of sediment in the bottles. Taste was loved by all who tried it though. Next time I think I will go with straight apricot nectar and an ounce of flavoring.

I've never used flavorings...do they come off having an artificial taste at all?

I made a mango wine and the mango flavor does not come through much at all with it. I think in a highly hopped beer it would be even harder to get that flavor to be noticeable. I'm curious to see your results though.

I've never used flavorings...do they come off having an artificial taste at all?

A little. I don't think I would use them alone, but as just a little kicker with natural flavoring I think they help bring out the flavor a little bit and the natural flavor helps dilute any artificial twang. YMMV.

Im pretty sure I'm dry hopping also...so any extra matter should be left in the primary. I'm sure I'll lose a bottle or 2 this way...

OClairBrew said:
I made a mango wine and the mango flavor does not come through much at all with it. I think in a highly hopped beer it would be even harder to get that flavor to be noticeable. I'm curious to see your results though.

Im not looking for a full on mango slap in the face...just something to add a hint of depth to the citra/mosaic combo. Maybe an American IPA isn't the best choice to name this...

Brewed this 2 Fridays ago. Everything is going well so fat. Checked Sat and its down to 1.020 and bubbling every 6 secs still.

There were some minor adjustments as I added Magnum as the bittering hop and used the centennial later in the boil broken down into a .25 at 20mins and .50 at 10 minutes.

The only thing I'm second guessing is what to dry hop with. I have an oz of Mosaic, and I want to add. Thoughts!? Not to steer any answers but I'm thinking .5 Amarillo and maybe .5 cent to go with 1oz Mosaic for about 5 days...

Personally not familiar with Mosaic, but Amarillo is a great hop for dry hopping. If it were me, I would try to smell both hops together and see if they smell good together and if so toss em in together. No such thing as too much dry-hop imo if they compliment each other.

I have a brew going just like this, this is the mango I used. It works out great I'd use the whole quart.

Walmart has it for like $2.50 per quart.

EZCyclone said:
I have a brew going just like this, this is the mango I used. It works out great I'd use the whole quart.

Walmart has it for like $2.50 per quart.

I have fresh mango that's in my freezer cubed...I'll thaw that. But I'm really thinking that this will be fine without it...do you have you recipe handy? I'm curious to see the differences

Umm, let's see here:

OG: 1.064
FG: 1.022

7 gallon boil
1# Maris Otter
12# 2 Row Pale
8 oz Carapils
8 oz Crystal40
1oz centennial @60
.5 oz cascade @30
1oz Citra @ 10
1 box of Jumex Mango @10

Wyeast 1056

.5 oz Sorachi Ace @ 10 days
1 box of Jumex Mango @ 10 Days

Why 10 days? Cause I couldn't get back to it before then. No keep in mind I used the citra/Sorachi combo rather than the Mosaic combo, however that will be very tasty too. if you just want a tiny hint, you should cut down my mango by one box. I guess you could use half a box in the boil and then add half of a BRAND NEW BOX, at 10 days? Anyway I made mine to have a good deal of mango, but it definitely does not have a MANGO PUNCH:cross: or anything. In fact I may go with more in my next batch.

But that's what my taste buds tell me, I have to listen to them as you do yours. :mug:

What made you go with Sorachi here? I've been thinking of a wit with low amounts of coriander and dry hopping with sorachi and Amarillo.

I love the lemony flavor of it, it's not over the top, and with the mango it just adds a very nice level of citrus.

So you went to the trouble to come up with an idea for mango pale ale and now you are just going to scrap it with the mangos on hand? You going to rename it Mango Mystery where the mystery is that you forgot the mangos, or Which Dwarf Am I Pale Ale or? ;)

befus said:
So you went to the trouble to come up with an idea for mango pale ale and now you are just going to scrap it with the mangos on hand? You going to rename it Mango Mystery where the mystery is that you forgot the mangos, or Which Dwarf Am I Pale Ale or? ;)

No labels were harmed in the making of this beer :). Fortunately I never produced any labels so this will now be dubbed an APA.

But, who knows, I still have yet to move it to secondary soooo the mango beer still can come to fruition (<<see what I did there)

But, who knows, I still have yet to move it to secondary soooo the mango beer still can come to fruition (<<see what I did there)

Very nice! But may I add, PUT IN THE DAMN MANGO!!! You wont regret it!

Have I mentioned I'm a Mangoholic?!?!?! I dated a Brazilian girl a few years back, spend some time in Brazil and let me tell you, you will never look at Mango the same way!

EZCyclone said:
I dated a Brazilian girl a few years back, spend some time in Brazil and let me tell you, you will never look at Mango the same way!

Go on...

Ha ha ha, my last trip down was for 35 days. Fresh mango every morning! Oh and I mean FRESH, like a hot Brazilian maiden would pick my breakfast fresh from a tree FRESH! lol. It really is a heavenly place. Talking about fun fruit, they have this thing there I lovingly call an "exploder fruit", I don't remember what the name was, but it's a type of Pina. Damn thing ferments just sitting there on the table. I asked what it was finally and the girlfriend said "go ahead and eat it, they are good" They look innocent and all but the bastard exploded right as I tried to take a nibble. No kidding, not just split open, but blew the hell up! Splattered the walls, and covered me in a very thick sticky ooz and seeds. The whole damn family was just sitting there laughing at me, nobody thought to tell the silly kid from America that they blow up! I guess it was to much fun to watch it.

Worse part is, the damn thing even kinda looks like a hand grenade! Maybe this should have been a clue?? I may even have a pic of it somewhere...

{EDIT} Ok, here ya go, I guess I had to go get the pic.

100_1458.jpg

So I have cubed mango (only 5 so I'm guessing on weight) in my freezer. I still have about 4 days in primary.

If I want to reduce extra junk in the secondary can I purée and sanitize and shoot in the primary. Last I checked it was down to 1.020 a couple days ago, so it's mostly fermented out.

Pulled the trigger and quick puréed them. Beer was at 1.012. Going to rack over Sunday to secondary and dry hop with 1oz each citra, Amarillo, and mosaic.

Note: citra is really showing through and beer burst with tropical notes on the nose and tongue already.

Keep in mind you will want a three piece air lock, fermentation will fire up a bit more again.

Also YAY for the MANGO!

I'm expecting it to start back up from the new sugars. 3 piece is on.

Woo Hoo! Very nice. I will be awaiting my thank you bottle...to do a side by side review of course...For the good of the community of course! :mug:

I'm using 2 more bottles for a contest now...I'm going to put two in the 20A category and two in 14B. I think this might do better in the fruit beer section after this. Maybe not....

For what it's worth, I made a peach IPA last year, and ended up using 8 pounds of puree'd peaches in the secondary for about 2 weeks to get the proper amount of peach flavour I was looking for. I'm curious how your one pound of mangos tasted.

annoyingrob said:
For what it's worth, I made a peach IPA last year, and ended up using 8 pounds of puree'd peaches in the secondary for about 2 weeks to get the proper amount of peach flavour I was looking for. I'm curious how your one pound of mangos tasted.

You know...it was 5 good sized mangos peeled an cubed. I didn't take a weight so the 1# is estimated. I can't imagine it tipping anymore than 2# tops. If you go back through, I want an extra layer to this beer to compliment the citra/mosaic combo....not a beer that could be served with an umbrella. Couple weeks and we will know how this turns out. Dry hopping with 1oz each Amarillo/citra/mosaic...

Wow with the three oz of dry hope I wonder if you will notice the hops at all. I totally get the you taste it three times and finally say "I think there's a note of mango there" I do that to some beers. If it's closer to 2# that might be better. We shall see!

Back