aging of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfowl01

Reaction score
Hello all,

I been brewing since June 2012 and so far have brewed about 12 batches. I have noticed that on every batch I make from the time I tap the keg to the time it kicks....the beer will change quite a bit. Seems like when I first tap one the hops are at their fullest and then over time they fade.I have noticed this with brewery beer also. Sometimes you get a glass that is more hoppy than the previuos time.....gotta be freshness I would think. I take it this is normal.......let's say you liked the beer better at the beging when the hops where more pronoucned, how would one achieve this for the whole life of the keg?

Its normal, hop flavor and aroma both naturally fade over time, which si why its not usually good to age IPAs.

Hops do fade over time and you can't prevent it. One thing you can try is taking some whole leaf hops and a coffee press (French press) and doing your own wet hopping from the keg. Put some hops in the press, fill it with beer from the keg, let it steep for a couple minutes then press the plunger down and pour the beer into a mug. I know some people who have tried it but I haven't yet. I remember a bar in the news that does it too.

Back