Souring a 100% Brett Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrOrange

Reaction score
So I have 6 gallons of beer in Primary fermenting with Brett L & B from Wyeast. At bottling time I was thinking of racking off 3 gallons and doing a secondary with some Jolly Pumpkin Bam Noire dregs. My questions is this: Since I normally get more fruity aroma/taste instead of funky/horsey with my Brett primary, does anyone know how the Brett will react when the souring bugs are introduced? I would like some funk to come through along with some sourness. Anyone have any input on this?

It really does depend on your TG. My brett beers don't get as low as the beers that big dee makes. That could be because of me having a higher mash temp, less acidic wort, or more specialty malts. I have always pitched Jolly Pumpkin dregs before TG and have always had my beers get a bit of the sourness. The sooner I pitch, the more sour I taste.

Yeah my FG never ends up as low as big dee's either. I was thinking of maybe adding some maltodextin depending on how low the FG goes. I have had great results adding Jolly Pumpkin dregs to a secondary on my robust porter so I guess I'm just gonna go ahead and try and see where it takes me. Thanks for the input.

Youll be fine just adding the dregs. Your all brett fermentation shouldn't take it much lower than 1010 and I'd expect the dregs to take it down a few more points in a couple months.

Back