ghetto brew setups?...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will add my stuff to the pics, not as ghetto as some, but more ghetto than others.

292276_754155395049_66807239_34571821_336835269_n.jpg

292943_754155514809_66807239_34571825_330974057_n.jpg

530184_754155365109_66807239_34571820_861885255_n.jpg

When you're ready to move up to 10 gallon batches, I have a 19" TV for you. :)

I'll even throw in my Atari 2600 to kill time during the boil.

I've officially topped myself. Went to heat my mash water, and discovered that my digital thermometer is dead. No other thermometers in the house. What to do...

Steal the thermo from my boil kettle! Wait, now I gotta put it back before the boil. Darn.

ForumRunner_20120520_133350.jpg

Note the coathanger holding it up!

Hardly any of this stuff is ghetto. Maybe as compared to a professional brewery, but not as compared to serious homebrewers. I see lots of stainless steel, three-tier setups, propane, etc. In my book, ghetto is doing 2-3 gallon batches on the stovetop, cooling in the sink, extract only, with no hydrometer or thermometer, no airlocks.

The only stainless I have are my BK's. I use a hydrometer,an electric stove,& sink for brewing. An old large printer stand for a FV stand/storage unit. So cheap &/or repurposed for me. That's ghetto in my book. Just run what ya brung...everything works of ya let it.

Half ghetto. Made out of bed frames and the cheapo harbor freight welder

ForumRunner_20120530_185553.jpg

and unlike other expensive brew stands I see....mine is easily height adjustable via jack stands for brewers of all sizes. :D

Heres my DIY electric setup… I like to think that its not ghetto but when I snapped the pic it sure does look a little crazy. Especially my makeshift stand that’s cut into an existing workbench, the diy bathroom vent exhaust hood, and all the mishmash fittings (brass to stainless to aluminum anyone?).

It certainly wasn’t cheap, (I estimate I dropped somewhere around a grand on the whole system) but it has the capabilities of much more expensive (and much more cheaper) set-ups. It makes beer!

IMG_20120603_130950.jpg

Ghetto? I would shank a baby for that set-up.

.... well, not literally, but ya know...

my setup isn't really ghetto, i see most people have spent the money where is will help them out the most. as they should.

Me? I was getting tired of un/plugging my pumps so i made this thing and the extension cord get a nice place to be stored.

redneck_elec_switch.jpg

Thanks DarkBrood! I shoulda taken pics of the hoses running from the shower to the pre-chiller. To the IC, and back into the kitchen sink!

start in my kitchen using my stove to heat up my strike water. After my first runnings I move outside to sparge, still use the stove to heat sparge water.

PA200643.jpg

PA200644.jpg

PA200645.jpg

PA200646.jpg

Not as ghetto as some, but I certainly started that way when I was first brewing. This picture was from chilling a quick BIAB batch I did on the stove last week to test something out.

I had two buckets filled with frozen water bottles and water. The top one is siphoning from there to the bucket on the floor which has a pump in it pushing water through a chiller.

The pump moving the water through the immersion chiller is that same 264 gph submersible from Harbor Freight that a lot of us have.

The system drains back to a carboy or other bucket. I used the first set of drained water for cleanup since it was still hot. The rest was cold enough to cycle back through the system. Got it down to pitching temp in 45 minutes or so.

ghetto chill.jpg

PistolsAtDawn said:
Not as ghetto as some, but I certainly started that way when I was first brewing. This picture was from chilling a quick BIAB batch I did on the stove last week to test something out.

I had two buckets filled with frozen water bottles and water. The top one is siphoning from there to the bucket on the floor with a pump.

The pump moving the water through the immersion chiller is that same 264 gph submersible from Harbor Freight that a lot of us have.

The system drains back to a carboy or other bucket. I used the first set of drained water for cleanup since it was still hot. The rest was cold enough to cycle back through the system. Got it down to pitching temp in 45 minutes or so.

Haha, I saw the thumbnail and thought whoa! The white and stainless....looks commercial.....then I clicked on the image.

Heres the set up me and my brother in law use to mash/ sparge. And yea, thats a drywall mud bucket and a kitty litter tub. Hahaha

ForumRunner_20120726_150704.jpg

ForumRunner_20120726_150712.jpg

Back