Another Apfelwein question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelie211

Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack anyones thread, but I have a question about Ed Worts Apfelwein. I am thinking about making a 3gallon batch tomorrow.

Questions:

1. I found the Tree Tops 100% Apple juice here are the ingredients Apple Juice from Concentrate (Water, Concentrated Apple Juice); Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C). Is this the correct juice?

2. Thinking of adding some sweetness (4oz of lactose) should I boil this before I pitch or should I just shake it up in a half a bottle of apple juice and pitch.

3. Is it better to rehydrate the yeast? Im using Lalvin EC-1118 because the LHBS didn't have Red Star Montrachet.

New to brewing just bottled my first batch and I found the thread for the Apfelwein and it looks awesome. I made it through the first 46 pages and will continue to follow. I just didn't want my post to get lost in the shuffle.

Thanks for any help you can offer:mug:

1) Yep.

2) Not sure.

3) Opinions vary, but rehydration can't hurt. I believe most manufacturers recommend it, but I've heard some people argue it's better to let the yeast rehydrate in the type of environment they're going to be living in, i.e. the liquid you're fermenting.

Thanks for the help damdaman. I think I will rehydrate in some apple juice. Anyone else have any comments on the lactose question?

Thanks for the help damdaman. I think I will rehydrate in some apple juice. Anyone else have any comments on the lactose question?

Rehydrating in apple juice has the added benefit of acting as a sort of starter for the yeast, getting it active and bubbly before pitching. A lot of recipes I've looked at recommend exactly that, usually in orange or apple juice.

I always make a starter with the fermentable im using, get yeast used to the environment they will be living in. Juice, yeast, nutrient in a growler. Shake the hell outta it and pitch the next day if you have good air lock activity. I've been to frankfurt germany, the appfelwine capitol of the world. They tasted very much like my cider, dry and not carbonated.

Latest posts

Back