Banana flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDCore

Reaction score
Ok, so my Irish Red has been bottled for a bit over 2 weeks.. It tastes completely carbed.. but the strange thing it has a delicious banana flavor.. I didn't flavor it. I fermented it at 72-74 for the first 24 hours... then down to 64 degrees. could this be the reason for the flavor?

Depending on the strain of yeast you used, that initial 72-74* fermentation produced fruity esters. In this case banana. Which I imagine tastes odd in an 'irish' red.
If you start cooler, then warm up at the end it can eliminate that. Starting warm then cooling will always produce an estery brew. Too warm and ya get phenols and higher alcohols.

Back away from the beer. Leave it to warm condition for 3 weeks, then put it in the fridge for 1 week, then taste your beer. My Cream of Three Crops tasted like pinapple for 3 weeks, then it was completely gone after the 4th.

Back