2 inch Krausen still after 17 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffd10

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am trying not to fret over every little thing, But as the title states I have a 2 inch krausen after 17 days on my wit...

Its the AHS Anniversary wit - Extract... I brewed the AHS anniversary Hefe the same day and the Krausen has dropped long ago ... I know they are 2 different beasts but its got me wondering ...I have not taken any readings yet, I usually let it go 3 weeks primary, didnt want to disturb it

Any thoughts ?

Wit yeast stays on top - looks really weird compared to most other yeasts. Don't worry though, it is fine and is probably done. My last wit fermented in ~ 3 days completely. Take a hydro reading and check it.

RDWHAHB!! Then bottle/keg that sucker, it is almost certainly done. Wits are great fairly young. Also don't worry when it clears in the bottle - when you chill it, the yeast will resuspend into the beer so you get the nice cloudiness when you pour it (and you want that yeast, it tastes great!).

WHOOOOSH.... thats really good news ...as you can tell its my first wit. Ill reconfirm with a hydro-reading tonight

Thanks cyclonite !!!!

************UPDATE**************

Both the Hefe and the Wit Came in right around 1.009 and both tasted good flat. I think I may like the Wit a bit better...

Lets see what a few weeks in the bottle do for these brews

The cloudiness comes from chill haze. Yeast does not re-suspend in cold conditions.

You are correct, my bad. :mug:. I was assuming it was the yeast, since the particulates from the bottom start floating upward when chilled giving it an appearance like liquid smoke. My other beers have not done this, but I am fairly new to doing wheats.

In any case, I like to give it a good swirl when I drink it - the Wit yeast is tasty with the brew, as is the Hef.

************UPDATE**************

Both the Hefe and the Wit Came in right around 1.009 and both tasted good flat. I think I may like the Wit a bit better...

Lets see what a few weeks in the bottle do for these brews

Awesome, congrats! I too think I prefer the Wit - I like the citrus (I even zested an entire sweet orange into mine in addition to the bitter orange and coriander - came out great!). I want to play more with Hefeweizen yeast though - my wife likes the banana character, but I keep getting bubble gum instead due to my fermentation temps. :ban:

I have the wit going right now. Still bubbling away 8 days later. This will be helpful if I run into the same issue. Glad to hear it tastes good!

What kind of yeast did you use? When I used WLP400 the krausen was around until I bottled it. One of the best brews I've made.

I just did a weizen... I used wyeast 1010 but I think most wheat strains are top cropping. It will drop any day now. I've heard some people say you actually have to disrupt the layer with something to break it up before it will sink

What kind of yeast did you use? When I used WLP400 the krausen was around until I bottled it. One of the best brews I've made.

I also used the WLP400, Crazy Yeast...bottling today, good times... I guess ill just poke thru the "upper" cake today, next time ill try knockin it down like Freshoarse mentioned...

I sampled my like Dubbel this morning at my LHBS ..and he said you are going to have a great beer in 2 months .... :rockin:

jeffd10 said:
I also used the WLP400, Crazy Yeast...bottling today, good times... I guess ill just poke thru the "upper" cake today, next time ill try knockin it down like Freshoarse mentioned...

That yeast is definitely crazy, mine was slow to start but then exploded and finished in one night. Produced an amazing beer - that one will be going into my permanent repetoire! Harvested 6 jars of it as well :D

Back