fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snodawg

Reaction score
The geographic center of Washington State
I got a couple questions about my latest batch of beer. I have made this porter five or six times before but this time things have been different. The only thing I have done different this time is that I made a starter. First, I followed my recipe the same as always but when I took my OG reading it was 1.100, it is supposed to be 1.070 and that is still on the high end. Anybody know why the change? Next issue, I started my fermentation inside, (using a six gal. carboy with blow off) it took off just like it should but it started to get too warm so I moved it to the garage, it continued but then overnight the fermentation temp went down to 60 and the blow off stopped, so I brought it back in the house to bring the temp up a bit but that nice primary fermentation isn't starting again. Usually the vigorous primary fermentation lasts about three days with this beer. Again I ask, why the change? So now my changes, usually I just leave my beer in the primary for a month then I go to bottle. This time I need my primary so I am going to rack to a secondary but I was thinking I would just rack everything to the secondary instead of leaving the cold break in the bottom, mostly because of my lack fermentation activity. So please I am looking for some input on what's going on, what do you think?

Do you know if it started before you moved it to the gayrage? What temp did you pitch?You can get finished in 2 days,ive only used dry yeast though. What are your indications of "fermentation is not starting again?" Those temp swings could have stressed the yeast and it was probably below 60 if fermentation temp was 60-low.

So I pitched at 68 and it started a very vigorous fermentation overnight. The temps got up to 73 and I took it to the garage where it continued its vigorous fermentation and I left it out there overnight to continue bit when I got up this morning the fermentation temp was 60 and the vigorous fermentation had slowed considerably. I can still see some work happening inside but not much. So I know it hasn't stopped but this is very different than usual. Temp now is 68.

Leave it be. When it cooled down in the garage, the yeast went dormant and dropped out of suspension. Now it's warmed up, it is starting to work again. It is going slowly because most of the yeast dropped out of suspension. You can try rousing the yeast; use a racking cane and slowly stir the trub.

Do not rack until you know it is done. Take a gravity reading, that will tell you how you are doing.

I had about the same thing happen with my 1st batch. I had to swirl the fermenter to get some yeast off the bottom & get'em going again. 12 days later it was done & clearing at FG.

Back