brewers best kit question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cause the guy who wrote the instructions is from Bangladesh.

Best bet is to read, read, read and make your own conclusions.

I never racked my BB kit (APA) to secondary. I left it in primary for about 2ish weeks and moved it straight over to the keg for another week to carb and started drinking it the week after that.

I believe that the rule of thumb is to rack to secondary after fermentation is around 2/3 complete (if you are going to use a secondary/bright tank).

The reason, as I understand it, you still want SOME fermentation activity in the Bright. Now, as for the scientific reason, I am not sure. I think if you rack to Secondary/Bright AFTER fermentation is COMPLETE, the movement could cause a second fermentation which is bad (I believe). If you rack to Secondary/Bright while fermentaion is mostly complete but still active, the fermenation process will complete in the Secondary/Bright which is what you want.

Again, I am new to brewing (One BB IIPA Kit thus far), but have read alot and had this same question.

Best of luck!:mug:

Back