My dog stinks...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Borisbbadd

Reaction score
My beagle found himself a skunk, I think he got the worst of the deal.

Anybody know of a good way to get rid of the smell ?

We have tried tomato juice, it seemed to help a little, but he does stink !!!

my lab got into one on opening day of duck season here and the only thing i found that worked was a product called"nature's miracle" by pet's 'n people,inc. . took 95% of the scent away that day

They are cool dogs, but they can sure be stubborn.

Once their nose hits the ground, their ears turn off, they forget their name, and they will come back when they damn well want to............then look at you with them long floppy ears, and them sad " you just love me don't you " eyes, its hard to get mad at them.

i have heard that Borsted (russian soup) works pretty well... you can buy it canned in the ethnic food section of your local grocery store... I have also heard that baking soda and viniger work as well... you can also use the oder nutralizers that hunters use before they go out deer hunting... Oddly enough you can also put him in a bath of warm water and dyer sheets, that can cover and absorb at least half of the smell... I got hit by a skunk... ended up platnium blonde because my mom used lemon juice and bleach... worked like a charm... my 5th grade class thought it was a riot... im scared for life... your dog dosent have pride problems... but i dont think concentrated bleech would be good for him

Cheers

Once their nose hits the ground, their ears turn off, they forget their name, and they will come back when they damn well want to............then look at you with them long floppy ears, and them sad " you just love me don't you " eyes, its hard to get mad at them.

Ya I hear ya...

You, sir, are quite correct. I always laugh when I hear people declare beagles 'stubborn' when working independently and without instruction from the handler is exactly what we bred into the breed to begin with. ;)

Wouldn't trade mine for the world- he's the namesake for my brewery, after all!

Worst we have is smelly green slimey cow pats.
At least an hose pipe takes care of that.

Is it bad?

You don't have skunks in Great Britain? Or in Europe? No, I guess you don't.

Then, how do you know that Heineken is skunked, if you don't know how skunks smell? :D

Bad is an understatement. The dog will smell for a month, to the point where your eyes water if it comes in the house. It's horrid.

I've done this recipe on my dog: Deskunking Dogs, Cats, and Other Pets

After the baking soda, peroxide and soap bath, I rinsed her well and then doused her with the tomato juice (since the odor was much better but not 100% gone) and we could live with her after that.
I have used this 'recipe' the three times my dog tangled with a skunk. Works great to actually neutralize whatever is in a skunk's spray. But you may have to do it two or three times. Wash, rinse, wash rinse. And then a little bit of vinegar and water in another rinse.

I have had the most success using one of the commercial skunk shampoos from the pet store - some sort of enzyme that breaks down the chemicals in the skunks little gift to your dog. One shot pretty much does it. My genius dog has gotten tagged a couple of times.

Between the tomato juice and " Natures Miracle " he is at least tolerable..............:mug:

The problem with skunk juice is that it is an oil, once it drys the smell is going to be in whatever the oil touches for quite some time. The best thing to do if your dog ever gets skunked is to get some detergent, dish washing soap, something that breaks up oil and wash it out ASAP, that will prevent a lot of the smell from taking hold.

Now if you are out at the park and it takes an hour to get home, you are screwed, the stuff had dried on and is in the fur, the smell can be lessened with baking soda and peroxide and other odor neutralizing products that contain natural enzymes that break down the skunk smell, but some trace of it will be stuck in the fur and the top layer of their skin till they shed the fur out and their skin cells die off.

Wish I had better news for you, but the key once it happens is quick action. And I have some skunk stories to tell you, unfortunately I have typed to much already and need to call it a night.

I'm just waiting for Boss to catch a skunk. He snagged a porky last spring. At 3 a.m.

I haven't had that pleasure yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.
He did find his way into a cactus patch at the City of Rocks. That was a ton of fun digging the thorns out of him !!!

I haven't had that pleasure yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.
He did find his way into a cactus patch at the City of Rocks. That was a ton of fun digging the thorns out of him !!!

we go to SD every 2 yrs for pheasant and last time my friends female lab pup stuck her nose to dead porky. the dead one was hard enough to pull free the barbs just glad my male didn't get close enough to the one the next day to get slapped. and that he listened when he ran up on the rattler.

Back