2 problems with my 2nd batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GameFreac

Reaction score
Hey guys long time no post. My 1st beer came out alright but I realized I ordered an English-style IPA instead of an American IPA but it carbonated and lots of people liked it. Thanks for all your help on that batch.

Anyways, just brewed an all galaxy hop IPA (extract) and came up with 2 problems:

1. I couldn't get 3 gallons of water to boil on my electric stove so I had to put the lid on 75% covering the pot to get it boiling. Steam still escaped and I wiped off the condensation on the lid when I added the hops and extract every time. Will I still get DMS?

2. My tubes were not on my wort chiller tight enough and for about 5 seconds, some water from the outside faucet MAY have gotten into my wort before I tightened them. It was dark so I couldn't really see though. Will I get an infection?

EDIT:

Also, my wort is really dark and murky. When I tried to take the OG, I couldn't even see through it. Is that a problem?
Thanks

Only way to know if it will get DMS is to wait and see.

As far as the wort chiller, you should be ok. Did it happen in the beginning? Worst case scenario you got some chlorine in the beer and may have to re-pitch your yeast.

OK

Yeah it happened right when I started to chill it.

Also, my wort is really dark and murky. When I tried to take the OG, I couldn't even see through it. Is that a problem?

The darkness is probably from boiling your extract too long which causes it to caramelize. You can add 1/2-3/4 of it 5 minutes before flameout and will get a much lighter color.

You shouldn't have an issue with DMS since you used extract. This is only an issue with all grain brewing (the extract production process eliminates the DMS precursors...just like boiling an al-grain wort does).

And you're probably fine with the chiller mishap. Though only time will tell. A healthy fermentation will help.

Good luck!

The darkness is probably from boiling your extract too long which causes it to caramelize. You can add 1/2-3/4 of it 5 minutes before flameout and will get a much lighter color.

I had some grains that I steeped for 30 minutes, then boiled for an hour. That's it.

Latest posts

Back