Worried about priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhill80720

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing and I just started fermenting an Amber Ale. Since I'm new to this, the instructions about adding the priming sugar doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that the sugar is going to mix well if you add all the sugar at once to the bottom of the bottling bucket. Should I stir the batch to mix the sugar once it has been transfered to the bottling bucket?

I'm new to brewing and I just started fermenting an Amber Ale. Since I'm new to this, the instructions about adding the priming sugar doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that the sugar is going to mix well if you add all the sugar at once to the bottom of the bottling bucket. Should I stir the batch to mix the sugar once it has been transfered to the bottling bucket?

I'm no expert being fairly new to brewing myself but my understanding is that when racking to your bottling bucket the movement of the new solution is more than enough to mix the priming sugar in.

That being said, from a straight up chemistry standpoint it should be more than enough. Assuming that you created a solution with the sugar in water beforehand it should mix well enough during the racking process. From what I've gathered from the more experienced guys on this site you don't want to stir it much anyway at this point in order to prevent a lot of oxygen from getting in.

It sounds like you mean to just dump the sugar in the bottling bucket to mix. Instead,boil 2C of water for a few minutes,then add the measured amount of sugar & stir to dissolve. Cover it & cool a bit. Start racking the beer into the bottling bucket,then slowly pour the priming solution into the surface of the swirling beer.

It sounds like you mean to just dump the sugar in the bottling bucket to mix. Instead,boil 2C of water for a few minutes,then add the measured amount of sugar & stir to dissolve. Cover it & cool a bit. Start racking the beer into the bottling bucket,then slowly pour the priming solution into the surface of the swirling beer.

This is exactly what I do and I have never once had an undercarbed or overcarbed bottle of beer, it is all uniform. :mug:

This is exactly what I do and I have never once had an undercarbed or overcarbed bottle of beer, it is all uniform. :mug:

Same here. Since you're adding your brew to the solution you've created with the priming sugar it starts mixing in to the new solution immediately.

If you've boiled priming solution and are adding it to the bucket while racking the beer over, it really mixes itself better than most new brewers think it does. It's not like mixing oil and water, you're really mixing two very similar densities that want to go together.

We talk about this at least once a week on here, here's part of a discussion from before the holiday;

Regarding the "stir" debate...

I did a little experiment about a year ago. You can try this too.

Take a cup of water and add your favorite color of food coloring to it. Add a lot of food coloring so that the color is nice and dark. Dump it in a bucket. Rack 5 gallons of clear water from another bucket on top of the colored water with a siphon. This imitates racking beer onto priming sugar. You'll notice that the cup of colored water mixes in with the 5 gallons of clear water very nicely. Give it a try!

Yup. I don't know why this is so hard for people to grasp.... One of these days I'm actually going to brew an extremely light beer, like a kolsch and tint my priming sugar solution, and get the clearest bucket I can find to use as a bottling bucket, maybe one of those plastic containers from a restaurant supply store, and put 2 or three cameras on the damn thing to have three different angles, and record it mixing, and finally put this damn myth to rest.

It's one thing to be dropping dry sugar into the bucket, and another to be mingling two liquids of nearly the same density.

Just ignore the bottles for a minimum of 3-4 weeks, let them do their thing, and more than likely you'll be perfectly fine.

Back