Black IPA - Recipe Critique Please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghova

Reaction score
I've got 4 batches under my belt and want to try my hand at developing and brewing my own recipe.
So far I have been doing kits - mostly steeping grains and liquid extract, so that is going to be my method for this recipe.
Steep grains @ 155 for 30 min - add a portion of the extract - bring to boil and begin hop additions - Add remainder of extract at 15 min. remaining.

5 Gal batch - 4.5 Gal boil - top up with spring water.

Ingredients:
8 oz. Carafa II (500 L)
8 oz. Crystal 50 (50 L)

6 lbs. Golden LME
3 lbs. Light DME

1.5 oz Chinook @ 60 min. (13%) 51 IBU
1.0 oz Perle @ 15 min. (8%) 12 IBU
0.5 oz Chinook @ 10 min. (13%) 7 IBU
1.0 oz Perle @ 5 min. (8%) 5 IBU

1.25 oz Cascade @ flameout

Safale US-05

Projected OG: 1.069
Projected FG: 1.015
ABV: 7.1%
IBU: 74

Goal was a drinkable, hoppy, semi-high alcohol, dark IPA with a lighter taste.. Thinking the crystal 50 may give a little sweetness, just to counter the hops a little, while still being a very hoppy beer.

Any feedback, critique, input, insults, thoughts and/or insights will be appreciated. :mug:

Also if i left off something obvious that you would need to know to help please point it out and laugh at me.

That recipe sounds solid to me. I would use Carafa III though, and up it to 12 oz. As it is your SRM is only about 20-25 which would be more of a Brown IPA. Also, you might want to replace 1 pound of the DME with 1 pound of corn sugar. Extract has a lot of unfermentables so the sugar would help get the FG down to get the lighter body you want. Hops look good; are you planning on dry hopping at all?

Thanks! I already have the Carafa II, would it be ok to just pick up a couple ounces of Carafa III and mix them?
1 pound of corn sugar is a good idea. I think i will do that.
I was toying with the idea of dry hopping with 1.5 oz. of magnum. I know this is a traditional bittering hop but I love the way it smells. If I get talked out of that I have a few ounces of Cascade I could use for dry hopping as well.

Cascade would be good but I always like to continue the hops from the boil into the dryhop just for some continuity. 1-2 ounces of whatever you choose should work, there's no real wrong answer.

yeah you could just add some carafa III or even more carafa II if you want to keep it the same. I suppose cascade is the traditional hop to use to dry hop it, but like inhousebrew said, there's no real wrong answer. If you like magnum, do it; brewing would never evolve if people didn't try new things! :mug:

Latest posts

Back