Mouldy Salami

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rats

Reaction score
Have got some nice salami hanging in the shed at the moment which we made two weeks ago (keep in mind its the middle of winter down here at the moment). Anyway they all have a nice white mould growing on the surface that I'm taking to be a penicilun strain, very camembert like. Anyway a lot of the research I have done has said that it doesn't matter either way if you leave the mould to grow or you wipe it off. Now my little Portugeese mate who thinks he knows everything becuase he comes from a long line of great sailors (how hard was it to find North America? It's not as if there was anything else there):off: Anyway he reckons you need to keep wiping the mould off with olive oil. Now my basic understanding of microbiology tells me that if the mould was going to be a problem then wiping it off with olive oil probably aint gonna make much difference. As far as I'm concerned its pretty much an asethetics issue.

Interested to hear the views of any salami makers out there.

I'm no expert but whenever I get white mold, I wipe it off with a little bit of white vinegar. Seems to work really well.

I've left meats with white mold for a while and ended up with green mold... and had to toss them. When I wipe them off with a little vinegar, I never get green mold.

I once knew a stripper by the name of Mouldy Salami.

To answer your question, how about trying to use a Starsan solution instead of affecting the flavor by using vinegar, and subsequently "*****ing" the salami?

It'll be fine, dont worry about wiping it off, the mold will help the sausage dry evenly and avoid case hardening. If the mold starts to change to purple, orange, green, or blue, than wipe it off with a very diluted vinegar to water solution. What kind of casings did you use?

Here are a few I've made, note the healthy white mold

2316_534070970711_6185_n.jpg

Back