Dry hopping with home gorwn hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenixs4r

Reaction score
I've dry hopped beers with store bought pellets a few times with no extra prep aside from opening the baggy and dropping them in there. They typically come from vacuum sealed bags.

We have some Chinook that was ready before we were, and we haven't gotten a vacuum sealer yet. They are sitting in the dehydrated and are about done. Is there any extra prep needed to add these to some mild we have clearing right now? Do they need to be sanitized at all?

Probably a dumb question, but I figured I'd ask. Also I know Chinook probably isn't the best hop to dry hop with, but I'd rather not throw them out.

I've kept homegrown hops in great shape for a couple years by putting them in zip lock freezer bags, sucking the air out and storing them in the freezer. You may not have to use them right away while you wait for your vaccuum sealer.

Just toss em in!
When you get a vacuum sealer you will most likely want to get Oxygen barrier bags as well. I have dry hopped a few things in our freezer, (ice cream bars, almonds I put in granola, cake, breaded fish and chicken...).

Was just listening to jamil in the brew strong podcast on dry hopping today. His comment was that all plants r covered in wild yeast so I would want to dunk them in boiling water for a few mins at least. This is for fresh hops only. Maybe the dehydrating process would kill the wild yeast although I'm not sure on this.

Check out the podcast dated 12-08-08 in the second hour, somewhere around 1:20

Chinook can be a nice dry hop depending on what you're looking for. I'd do a little more research as suggested for the homegrown hops. Usually I'd say just chuck them in.

Back