beer crates that are lighter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Beer crates 2 sizes regular bottles and growlers

Used red cedar 7/8 for ends and uprights and 3/8 for sides and bottom

Sides: 4 pcs: 3/8 x 3 x 19 7/8

Ends:4 pcs: 7/8 x 3 x 10 7/8

Uprights 4 pcs: 7/8 2 x 10 for regular and 12 inches high for growlers

Bottom: 3 pieces 3/8 x 3 x 18 inches

Glue and use narrow crown staples. Assemble uprights with ¾ or 1 inch space at top so when bottom is assembled you have 3/8 to ½ inch of mating for stacking.

Sand a taper at top and bottom so crates slide in place easily.

I made an assembly jig with 2 pcs on scrap plywood to keep it square and I marked the regular height and growler height on plywood so assembly is easy. Remember to keep uprights outside of unit when you assemble sides!!!

Dividers: 3 pcs: 5/32 x 4 x 16 3/8 and 2 9/16 space with 5/32 slot (5 slots x 2 inches deep) and 5 pcs 5/32 x 4 x 10 5/8 with slots spaced 2 9/16 with 5/32 slot x 2 inches deep

Used plastic sign material and panelling.

Dividers for growlers. Holds 15 bottles Use same lengths as above but make slots along the 2 pcs for length 3. 1/8 inches long and 5/32 slots and width need 4 pcs with space of 3 ½ inches with 5/32 slots 2 inches deep

I hope photos show up here

beer crates 001.jpg

beer crates 003.jpg

beer crates 004.jpg

These look really good, someday when i get a day would love to make few sets of these.

For what you have in the photos what was the board length you used?

I make furniture and found these boards in a basement I was cleaning out. They were 16 feet long, over 12 inches wide and 1 1/8 inches thick before I planed them down to just over 7/8 hence the 3/8 inch slats when I ripped them. Just do a layout on a scrap paper and your final length will kick in for the number you wish to make.

I like the foam core dividers idea , how about some openings in those sides for handles

Back