Is there any way of not having sediment in the bottle after carbonating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james2507

Reaction score
I Have been home brewing for a few months now and although my beer/cider has all come out well with good ABV and great taste I always get a tiny bit of sediment at the bottom of the bottle after carbonating, I am lead to believe that this happens to all brews but I want to take a batch camping and if I put the bottles in the car the sediment will get disturbed and make the beer cloudy, any suggestions on how not to get sediment after carbonating the bottles in my next batch ???
Cheers James

I think with bottling you'll always have a little bit of sediment. Depending on how long you're leaving in primary you might be able to have the yeast cake a little more compact by leaving it a little longer, say...4 weeks. Also cold crashing before bottling might help. For the moment you might just keep them in the fridge as long as you can and then keep them on ice until you're ready to drink them. That along with not agitating the bottles as much as possible should leave you with as little sediment as possible. I've found that if i do those things I have only a slightly noticable amount. Good luck on your camping trip. I've been wanting to go for a while.

When you say, "bottling" and "carbonating", can I assume that you are bottle conditioning?

If I may comment on the previous post, I have found tha the brew in the primary for more than 14 days allows autolysis to occur, I for one, am very sensitive to the off flavors, while a good friend of mine can't seem to taste it at all. It all boils down to personal taste.

Anyway, I would rack to secondary before the two weeks. Let it sit for a couple more weeks. Then keg, force carbonate, and take the keg camping. The sediment will be slight if at all.

Cheers!!

The sediment is created by the yeast during bottle conditioning. Can't really avoid it. You could keg and then bottle the keg carbonated brew.
@bikes-n-brews
Autolysis after 2 weeks? First time hearing this. You sure your not under pitching or have other issues.

If you are bottle carbonating, you will get sediment, that is a byproduct of the carbonating process. However, it can be minimized by cold crashing before bottling to reduce sediment in the beer before it gets bottled. However, it may take longer to carbonate.

james2507 said:
I Have been home brewing for a few months now and although my beer/cider has all come out well with good ABV and great taste I always get a tiny bit of sediment at the bottom of the bottle after carbonating, I am lead to believe that this happens to all brews but I want to take a batch camping and if I put the bottles in the car the sediment will get disturbed and make the beer cloudy, any suggestions on how not to get sediment after carbonating the bottles in my next batch ???
Cheers James

The short answer is no. Bottle conditioning will always lead to some sediment - if this is an already bottled beer, chill it for as long as possible - if you used something like Nottingham yeast it forms a really tight cake. The keep it cold during transport.

In the future you can try adding irish moss or whirlfloc in the boil - you could also try cold crashing for a few days before bottling. I haven't seen any improvement using secondaries - I leave things in the primary 3-4 weeks (autolysis isn't a concern unless you underpitch the yeast, use old yeast, or ferment to warm).

kapbrew13 said:
The sediment is created by the yeast during bottle conditioning. Can't really avoid it. You could keg and then bottle the keg carbonated brew.
@bikes-n-brews
Autolysis after 2 weeks? First time hearing this. You sure your not under pitching or have other issues.

I have found that I can sense off flavors that I notice on brew that has not been racked to the secondary within 14 days or so. I have also noticed the flavors become much more prevalent the longer I wait after those two weeks. But, like I said, my friend thinks they taste great! I gave him an entire batch that I thought was horrible and he thought was fantastic. Different strokes for different folks!!

As far as under pitching, anything is possible, I get a quick and rapid ferment that is usually contained in the primary (sometimes they get away). So I never really considered that issue.

Check these out:

http://sedexbrewing.com/

1. You have to bottle in PET screw top bottles (not sure about this-but will check it out).

LOOKS LIKE REGULAR BOTTLES TO ME..

2. They are not the cheapest thing out there.
3. They are reusable.

For a few six packs they might be just what you are looking for.

bosco

Last edited by a moderator:
boscobeans said:
Check these out:

http://sedexbrewing.com/

1. You have to bottle in PET screw top bottles (not sure about this-but will check it out).

LOOKS LIKE REGULAR BOTTLES TO ME..

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2PPBmJZFd0

2. They are not the cheapest thing out there.
3. They are reusable.

For a few six packs they might be just what you are looking for.

bosco

I've seen that before... I almost mentioned it, but they are only available in Australia - international shipping puts them at $72 or more for 15 to North America. AND, you need to bottle with these - so not an option for the OP if everything is already bottled, but hypothetically could work for the next one. That said, I would use it as an excuse to get a kegging setup :)

To really do what you're after, you have to filter, keg, force carb, then bottle.

According to jz's book yeast, if done correctly then bottle conditioning should just have a slight haze on the bottom. You want to wait to bottle until the yeast flocculate out (cold crashing helps) and then bottle. Ever notice how most commercial beers that are bottle conditioned only have a haze? That's the goal.

Cheers for the help guys, I'll probably make the Juno to kegging seems to be the best option.

Cheers for the help guys, I'll probably make the Juno to kegging seems to be the best option.

Kegging will save you some time since all you have to do is rack to keg and carbonate it with CO2. If you want to bottle, check the we need no stinking beer gun thread. It works well. Good luck..

Latest posts

Back