2nd generation brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmich24

Reaction score
I have a Saison in the primary that I pitched Brett B and Wyeast Belgain Saison from the start.
My question is, if I pitch a new Saison wort directly on the cake will it get funky faster? I have read that Roeselare get more funky/sour faster after each generation. Is this true with Brett?

The funk comes from stressing the brett. Since there will be a higher cell count now, it could possibly act a little different producing more fruity/less funky characteristics given this is what I always get when doing brett beers with very large starters.

The funk comes from stressing the brett. Since there will be a higher cell count now, it could possibly act a little different producing more fruity/less funky characteristics given this is what I always get when doing brett beers with very large starters.

Makes since, although not the answer I was looking for...

i think when you reuse the roselare, it's the ratio of souring organisms that changes from the initial balance they have determined to best represent the flemish red style. so the lacto and pedio get a little stronger each time, making each successive batch more sour.

I repitched on primary brett beers and you cannot tell they were fermented with brett. I am aging them, so in a few months, maybe things will change, but 1 month in, they taste like a beer fermented with sacc.

i think when you reuse the roselare, it's the ratio of souring organisms that changes from the initial balance they have determined to best represent the flemish red style. so the lacto and pedio get a little stronger each time, making each successive batch more sour.

Also doesn't the lacto feed on dead yeast cells? It makes sense to me that you would have a lot more of that available from the start if you pitch onto an old cake.

I think anything living in the wort will utilize the amino acids and micronutrients that any lysed cells offer in a fermenting beer. I don't know if you guys use yeastex but all that stuff is made of is DAP and dead/dehydrated yeast. You could save money and buy the dap and just mix it with some saved slurry to dump in at the end of the boil. So basically the common wisdom says that brett uses the dead sacch cells, but all living organisms will utilize what the dead cells have to offer. So in the case of Cascade Brewing and their Lacto only souring their lacto will use any lysed cell nutrients. It's not species specific it's just a case of what's around. It's not like the brett are chomping on the empty cell walls of the dead yeast. They're just using the macromolecules necessary for life.

Back