Cranberry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulinuke

Reaction score
I have wanted to try cranberry wine for a while now so I figured I would come to the forum in search of information and suggestions. Being from Massachusetts I have access to fresh cranberries from the bogs as soon as they are ripe and also everything that could be orderred on the net. Who else has done this and what did they think. Thanks Paul

I made a batch of cranberry wine from local berries here in New Brunswick, Canada. Freezing the berries helps to release the sugars after they thaw. I tried to crush by hand but that didn't do a great job. Because I didn't want to add much sugar, I ended up with a light wine... but it was tasty!

If I were to do it again, I would add some honey. I am adding honey to most things these days (beer, elderberry, blueberry). No matter what you do... it's hard to go wrong... enjoy!

Cool idea. Hadn't thought of cranberry wine. This winter when the berries appear at the supermarket I'll give it a try too. Let me know what recipe you have chosen.

Jennifer:D

There's a cranberry farmer near me in South Haven, Michigan that has also specialized in blueberries for years. (They may be on the Net. Google "DeGrandchamp's Blueberries").

I bought some, threw them into the food processor to break them down, and then put them in a bucket with an equal amount of sugar. Five pounds of berries, five pounds of sugar.

Let them sit for a week or so, and the sugar will start to draw the juice out of the berries. Stir daily, and the seeds and skins will settle to the bottom.

Add more sugar as needed, and pitch the yeast. I made some mighty tasty wine out of them!

Back