Corn syrup as a fermentable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corexcore

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using corn syrup as a fermentable? I know the high-fructose stuff gets a pretty bad rap in America, at least, and really it isn't great for you, but in the end its mostly bad because its just highly concentrated sugar, and because we eat too much corn based food. Whatever.

I have some corn syrup on hand and know that it is a sugar, the sugar in it being fructose which is fermentable. Does it leave off flavors? Has anyone tried using it? I'd be interested in how it came out, any input would be appreciated.

Most of them have vanilla as a flavoring. They are 100% fermentable. Aside from teh vanilla, they serve to lighten body and/or dry out the finish.

Edit: Whoops! Edited for context.

Since you posted in the cider forum, I'd say no problem. But watch out for vanilla.

I used the Corn Syrup w/vanilla in it. There really isn't much at all, just boil it for 5-10 minutes in some water. The last batch I used 2# Corn Sugar and 1#Corn Syrup, just to add a bit of alcohol boost. Drinking some now and its pretty good, still has a little apple flavor, but it fermented out well, about 7% abv or so.

tl;dr yes you can use corn sugar, just boil it like you would any other sugar before adding

No particular sugar leaves off flavours in and of itself - it depends on how it is used and how the yeast deals with it.

Sure it would be fine to use fructose syrup but in my experience cider doesn't need extra fermentables. It's easy to make a 6% cider using preservative free juice and the right yeast. Sugar just dries it out too much (and cider dries out enough on its own) . If you need it to bang your head, just add some brandy.

No... And no again...

My old man is a Chemist, and Corn Syrup and High Fructose Corn Syrup are very different.

Karo Corn Syrup isn't that fermentable, or sweet. It's Starch Syrup. :p

High Fructose Corn Syrup is the same as Sucrose/'Table Sugar' as far as Calories go.
It's about 1.3x sweeter than Sucrose though. It's just a Misconception held by the masses that HFCS is bad for you. Jeez!

But if you want to you can. I don't see anything wrong with it.
It will be Neutral as far as Flavor goes.

Corn Syrup is also used in Pharmeceuticals, such as Ricola cough drops.

For the love of pete... it's made from Corn (HFCS), lol, so it isn't THAT bad.

But regarding Artificial Sweeteners....

MYTH! They are not bad for you, and will not cause Cancer.
Aspartame, Saccharin, etc, are about 100-400 times sweeter than Sucrose.
Dextrose/'Corn Sugar' is about 60% the Sweetness of Sucrose.
But I use White Sugar for Priming every now and then.

I'm trying cheap@## maple syrup for priming my Red Ale this Fall
Most people use Grade A or grade B Maple Syrup, I think.
I'll be using Aunt Jamima Maple Syrup

Oh, and also I'm trying Baker's Yeast to ferment it.

If it works I'll post another post....
But if you guys want it I could PM it to you by Email.

For a small cost of course. $20

Ps:

I don't like Corn as a food that much, I particually don't like Corn On The Cob =P

I also plan to make a Malt Based Birch Beer next Fall, and from Scratch
And a Diet Cream Soda from Soda Extract next Summer
(Using Xylitol and Dextrose, Xylitol is about 90% the Sweetness of Sucrose and Dextrose is about 60% as sweet. 6 cups of Xylitol to 2 cups of Dextrose)

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/cream-soda.html
Try it out if you guys want and let me know how it goes!

And one can buy it thru Amazon, the Xylitol

Corn Sugar can be found on Midwest

Warning= ALL Sugar Alcohols have a very slight to major Laxative Effect.
Xylitol causes it somewhat. Also my dad brought home some mini Cheesecake things that were lactose-free milk and sweetened with Maltitol i/o the Lactose. Lactose gives me stomach aches but the Maltotol gives ya the cr&%s!
If ya wanna brew it you can but it may or may not cause Bloating, Constipation, Gas Problems, or Frequent Trips to The Johnny
It will work because it will take oh say... about 3 days for the Dextrose to be fermented, and the Soda itself, will be almost as Sweet as Sucrose Sweetened Soda

Xylitol is generally Mild but I wouldn't drink more than half a glass every couple days

That Birch Beer Recipe will have to be $20 as well, and the Cream Soda, I ask for a Donation of $1.35 for my Idea.

Baker's Yeast, for Soda Making, can be used, and it usually has Good Results.
Ferments it no problem!

I will not say what my dad's name is, and if I do I might get him in BIG TROUBLE with his Supervisors.

My Email is mrmatt2164atgmaildotcom if any one is interested in doing business with me!

Cheers!

Btw-

The IRA will be made next week! I will use it for Thanksgiving.

Back