You know you're a brewer if...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you go to a wedding and they are serving free bud lite and miller lite for beer, and you drink wine or pay for good beer.

You are a cheap/poor just out of college homebrewer when you serve Bud and BL at your wedding...

My justification is that most wouldn't appreciate good beer anyway and I'm providing all the homebrew for the rehearsal dinner so there. :mug:

When making eggnog and reach for your wort chiller/ice bath to cool the mixture down as quickly as possible so as to integrate the merigue without curdling.

(I did this last night. Put the hot mixture into an ice bath in the fridge.)

.....when you're drinking a glass of BM's SWMBO Slayer you made in July and thinking "hmmm, I wonder what this would tase like if I made it with US-05 instead of WLP410 just for the hell of it?"

When SWMBO asks you why all the tupperware lids have tape with "5 min.", "10 min." written on them.

-When the Science teacher's disqualified your child's science project 2 years in a row.

-When you find half your child's science project missing and the jury is getting topless.

When SWMBO asks you to bring "that pumpkin ale you brewed" to thanksgiving, so that all her family will like you.

(Happened to me this thanksgiving - thanks yuri!)

When you leave the heater on while you go to work not for the dogs or so that it will be warm when SWMBO gets home, but so that you can condition your beer in time for Xmas. It's only a $100 heating bill for a $50 batch!

-When the Science teacher's disqualified your child's science project 2 years in a row.

-When you find half your child's science project missing and the jury is getting topless.

hmm i didnt know kids were allowed to experiment with ethanol?

When you leave the heater on while you go to work not for the dogs or so that it will be warm when SWMBO gets home, but so that you can condition your beer in time for Xmas. It's only a $100 heating bill for a $50 batch!

$100? how big or old is your mansion? i keep my 1500sq footer at 70F 24/7 and have a 50 gal boiler and i only use 10-15 gallons of lp per month!

When you read a thread entitled "You know you're a brewer if..." and you read every answer and giggle because you realize that 99% of them could be something you have said or done or thought. :mug:

Guilty as charged!! :D

You crack your glass top range while brewing and the first question you ask is

Can I salvage the wort and continue the brew again on another day?

When you get home from work and your dogs don't get to go outside to pee until AFTER you've checked up on all the bubbling carboys...

When your SWMBO becomes jealous because you're wispering sweet-nothings to the beer and ignoring her...

When your co-workers walk past your desk and say "are you on that brewing forum AGAIN???"

:mug:

When you think making drip coffee is a form of fly-sparging, then wonder if it would be easier or better to batch sparge coffee.

...when your freezer is chock-full of ice in every possible disposable container...

1203092318.jpg

... when your Christmas list looks more like a childs chemistry set than an actual Christmas list....

I just noticed this one while I was in the chatroom. Everytime I see someone type the word "hoping" I always read it as "hopping".

When your 5 year old niece designs beer labels for you and asks if she can work in the brewery when she grows up.

You know your a brewer if you buy 4x too many primaries, kegs, bottles, or hops than you would ever use at one given time.

Edit: 20x too many hops than you could ever use at one time.

Edit: 50x too many hops than you could ever use at one time.

Etc!

I just read all the pages and LOL at the cop thing. I was brewing at a buddys house and 3 squads drove by slow, then one finally noticed what we were doing and just waved. After brewing I went home and the last cop saw my squad in my driveway and asked what we were doing, he will now probably be my backup for life.

I just read all the pages and LOL at the cop thing. I was brewing at a buddys house and 3 squads drove by slow, then one finally noticed what we were doing and just waved. After brewing I went home and the last cop saw my squad in my driveway and asked what we were doing, he will now probably be my backup for life.

at about 0300 today, two deputies came to my hhouse to see if i was firing off firecrackers or a gun.

i say "no, i have been busy"
"doing what at this hour?"
"well, if you really care, i'm transferring 3 batches of beer"
"beer? what kind?"
"russian imperial stout, winter warmer, and a cream ale. stop back by in a month and pick up a 12er"
"sounds good to me! and save the firecrackers for another time. good night."

You know you're a home brewer when you get sent to the police station to photograph the evidence from a drug bust and you try to determine the capacity of the digital scales to see if they would work for grain.

After chatting with the police captain he tells me he's about to make an immersion chiller and will make me one too.

Your friend complains of getting lousy head, and you advise them to use more flaked barley.

You quit your job because the web filter blocks all alcohol related websites.

you have a few months until moving out of state and your buddies all ask you to brew a batch for them.

This is the tenth thread like this since you jointed HBT and you both read and contribute.

Back