Austin Homebrew's crush?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rnrchemnerd

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Austin homebrew has changed their crush settings recently? I just brewed up a couple of batches this past weekend and my numbers were way off on both batches. My system is dialed in, and I normally get 80% efficiency. I had efficiencies as low as 75% when my mash is too thin, but I usually get right around 80%. I brewed a pale ale on Friday night, and got 69%. That irritated me, because my batch is going to be a little more bitter than I wanted it. Anyhoo, I brewed up a brown ale on Sunday, and again I got 69%. This time I made it a point to check everything, and I noticed that the grains didn't seem to be crushed as well as normal. The brown is still going to turn out great, so I'm cool with it. I just want to know if this is an isolated incident, or if I should plan on buying more grain for future batches. I bought the grain ~6 weeks ago, and it had been sitting in my freezer sealed up ever since. I've never had any issues with freezing crushed grain before (up to 3 months so far) so I know that's not the problem. So I guess what I want to know is, has anyone noticed a 10% drop in efficiency from grain crushed by Austin Homebrew in the past 6 weeks?:confused:

I'm glad you made this post, because I recently ordered a bunch of grain from AHS and it didn't look to me like the grains were crushed adequately. I haven't brewed that batch yet so I can't comment on efficiency, it just didn't look right to me.

What was your order number so I can look into this?

The best way to solve this problem is to contact me or the store.

If your order was the only problem, then we can fix it. But if thousands and thousands of people see your post they assume that every order has a problem and this costs me a lot of orders because of 1 mistake that could be fixed easily.

The forum is not the place to let me know there is a problem. Please contact the store or me first.

Forrest

If your order was the only problem, then we can fix it. But if thousands and thousands of people see your post they assume that every order has a problem and this costs me a lot of orders because of 1 mistake that could be fixed easily.

The forum is not the place to let me know there is a problem. Please contact the store or me first.

Forrest

To be fair, I don't think he was either attempting to directly notify you, or to attack your product....just to see if anyone else was having a problem.

I know if I had an issue, but wasn't certain if it was due to the supplier or due to my own screwup somewhere, I'd ask to see if others had similar issues before calling up and b*tching to the vendor......

Plus your rep is solid :rockin:....I don't think anyone on here thinks AHS has bad products!

To be fair, I don't think he was either attempting to directly notify you, or to attack your product....just to see if anyone else was having a problem.

I know if I had an issue, but wasn't certain if it was due to the supplier or due to my own screwup somewhere, I'd ask to see if others had similar issues before calling up and b*tching to the vendor......

Plus your rep is solid :rockin:....I don't think anyone on here thinks AHS has bad products!

Indeed, this was exactly my thought process. It was'nt my intent to soil anyone's rep (other than my own :D ). I've always been pleased with AHS's customer service, and if I was sure it wasn't my own fault, I wouldn't hesitate to call. AHS continues to impress me. In fact, I just placed an order last week during the 50 state sale and made a big mistake. I ordered 10.5 pounds of pale chocolate for a batch instead of 0.5 pound (the mouse on my laptop has been pretty glitchy lately, but that's a different story). Instead of just grinding the grain and sending it out, they contacted me to make sure that's what I wanted. That kind of attention to detail alone is enough to make me a lifelong customer regardless of any issues I may have. :rockin:

Forrest

+1 . I understand that the OP was not necessarily a condemnation of Forrest's service, but most of us know by now that the course of least resistance in to consult him personally. You talk to him directly, and he will try to fix it. Actually, that same thing goes for all suppliers. Talk to them first before posting something on a forum which will undoubtedly be translated by some as a complaint of bad service.

Also, Usually if you tell them you want a fine crush they can help you out! I have hit my numbers pretty dead on with AHS.

Back