2 simple Extract recipes I made.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhermetz

Reaction score
I got bored at work... So I thought this would be a good time to look into what I should brew next. This time without buying a pre-made kit.

Since I don't have Beersmith at work I headed over to Beercalculus to come up with something. I made these 2 recipes based on what I can get at my local homebrew shop.

Let me know if you think these will work. (the SRM on them are off by 1-2 points according to BeerCalc...I dont think it should matter.)

Belgian Pale Ale:

OG: 1.054 FG:1.013
SRM: 6 (should be 8)

26 IBU
5.5% ABV

Fermentables:

4.4 lbs Light Dry Malt Extract
2.2 lbs Light/Pale liquid Malt Extract

Hops:
boil 60min: 2oz Saaz @ 2.7 AAU
Boil 15min: 1oz Cascade @ 5.4 AAU
Boil 5min: 1oz Cascade @5.4 AAU

Boil size: 4Gal for 60min

Yeast: Wyeast Danish Lager

German Pilsner

OG: 1.049 FG:1.013
SRM: 7 (should be 5 or lower)
28.1 ABU (little high for this style..but i wanted to test this out being a little more bitter.)

Fermentables:
4.4 lbs Amber Malt Extract liquid
2.2 lbs Malto-Dextrine

Hops:

Boil 60min: 1oz Hallertauer @ 3.6 AAU
Boil 45min: 1oz Hallertauer @ 3.6 AAU
Boil 5 min: 3oz Cascade @5.4 AAU

Yeast: Wyeast pilsner Urquell(2001)

So what you think...would these turn out good?

So, since you're just starting to build your own recipes, I'm going to assume you're new to brewing somewhat. Do you already have a lager setup?

As for your Belgian Pale Ale...how is it belgian when you don't use belgian yeast or ale yeast for that matter? I'd switch to a wyeast 1214.

Also, as far as your SRM goes...you probably won't get much lower with extract.

So, since you're just starting to build your own recipes, I'm going to assume you're new to brewing somewhat. Do you already have a lager setup?

As for your Belgian Pale Ale...how is it belgian when you don't use belgian yeast or ale yeast for that matter? I'd switch to a wyeast 1214.

Also, as far as your SRM goes...you probably won't get much lower with extract.

for Lagering I can use my Fridge...or I can use my big ass cooler and just keep throwing icepacks in there daily. I haven't done lagering before... After reading about it I'm pretty sure I can do it.

And I realise the problem with the Yeast... but the place didn't have a belgian yeast strain

On your Pilsner...I think I would up the malt extract to 6-7#'s of DME rather than liquid and maybe some specialty grains. Otherwise, I think you may have a low alcohol hoppy water. Thats just my opinion.

On your Pilsner...I think I would up the malt extract to 6-7#'s of DME rather than liquid and maybe some specialty grains. Otherwise, I think you may have a low alcohol hoppy water. Thats just my opinion.

What type of specialty grains would be good for steeping here?

Honestly, it's hard to be out of style much more than you are. These may taste great, but the first isn't Belgian without the yeast, and German pilseners don't use 3 ounces of Cascades.

28 IBUs isn't high for the style at all. What you have is a really big late hop addition.

What type of specialty grains would be good for steeping here?

You already have amber extract, which essentially has these grains included already. Lots of people say to use Light extract then add Crystal or Caramunich or something, but you might as well use the amber if you have it already. You could add a dab of specialty on top, but be careful lest it make it too sweet.

You already have amber extract, which essentially has these grains included already. Lots of people say to use Light extract then add Crystal or Caramunich or something, but you might as well use the amber if you have it already. You could add a dab of specialty on top, but be careful lest it make it too sweet.

If you have the amber already, use it.

OTOH, when I do extract, I try to use only Pilsen DME and build up with known specialty grains from there; that way I know exactly what I'm getting, and I only have to keep stock in one ME. Doing that and late extract addition also gave me the best control over color that I was able to achieve (and adding DeathBrewer's easy stovetop partial mash added a ton of possibilities). Wheat DME is pretty much the only other ME I ever buy.

Latest posts

Back