There isn't a final gravity on my recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefBrew

Reaction score
I'm studying my partial mash recipe for the next batch I'm making. It's a Belgian Witbier called, Wit Men Can't Jump. The Starting gravity suggests 1.048.

Any suggestions from you all on what the FG should look like?

I was also wondering if I should wait towards the end of the boil to add the extract to prevent darkness in the wort. :mug:

You're going to have to post the grain bill and the yeast you are using, but we can figure it out given this info. Let us see the recipe.

I usually added most of my extract near the end of the boil, but it depends on how the recipe was formulated.

Wheat Extract 6lbs.
Adjuncts 0.5 lbs.
Carapils 7oz
Belgian Aromatic 1oz

Thanks

Hop= Saaz: 10z at 60, .5 at 5min
.5oz corriander, .5 bitter orange peel at 5min
LME
Adjunct= sugar (honey, corn sugar, etc...) it does not specify which to use.

White Labs WLP400 Belgian White Beer

again, Thanks

WLP400 should attenuate at an average of 76% or so, but if you're using corn sugar that will attenuate more fully, so I'd expect it to attenuate at 78-79% or so with that recipe. I'd expect a FG in the neighborhood of 1.010- 1.012.

If you're doing a partial mash, that aromatic malt and carapils might give you a couple of more gravity points, for an expected OG of 1.051. (I ran the calculation with corn sugar as the adjunct).

Like Yoop said, it will probably finish in the 1.010 - 1.012 range. My calcs put your OG at 1.050, and the yeast typically attenuates about 76%, leaving you at 1.012, but you could possibly get down to 1.010 with the sugar.

Remember, these numbers are under ideal conditions, so the worse you treat the yeast while it's working, the higher the FG will be. If they get worn out, they will quite work early. Just make sure to aerate well, pitch the proper amount of yeast, and keep the temperature under control, and you will be fine.

Latest posts

Back