First infection...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bleak

Reaction score
So, this amber ale started fermentation (WY1056) with an O.G. of 1.057, and was still bubbling after 7 weeks (yeah). The gravity is now 1.004. It doesn't taste disgusting, but it doesn't taste like an amber ale either.

I'm having trouble grasping this reality. So what do I do now? Water my hops with it?

If it taste OK, then it may not e a problem.
I have one myself that is popping a bubble now and then.
Going to bottle it tomorrow.
Temperature can cause the yeast to be sluggish.
1.004 sounds way to low.Calibrate your hydrometer.

Are you sure it doesn't taste disgusting? I have bad homebrew from a year ago that I'm starting to realize will never taste like drinkable beer. As long as you have plenty of room, denial is not an issue. I have probably three cases of undrinkable beer that I'm too lazy to dump; not an issue.

Are you sure it doesn't taste disgusting? I have bad homebrew from a year ago that I'm starting to realize will never taste like drinkable beer. As long as you have plenty of room, denial is not an issue. I have probably three cases of undrinkable beer that I'm too lazy to dump; not an issue.

I don't know...it's pretty clear that it won't be very good. It kind of tasted like hoppy water. It seems like it would be a waste of time and bottles to go ahead and bottle it...

It kind of tasted like hoppy water.

Hoppy water is an improvement over what I'm talking about. But might as well bottle it to be sure. If it has a medicinal taste, that's another story.

edit: medicinal smell

Back