String of bad luck. Help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finigan4710

Reaction score
I was brewing and did wonderful. It was my first partial grain brew.
When I was putting the airlock on the lid of my plastic fermenter I dropped the plastic ring into there. I tried to get it out and accidentally touched it w part of my finger. I then said **** it and put the airlock on and closed the lid. After that I taped the airlock shut on to the fermenter to where no air would penetrate it. What are the odds that my brew is infected

Why is that? Sanitization is key!!!!! That's all I have read. And it's not bubbling in airlock

DON'T PANIC

How long has your yeast been pitched? I'd guess that if it is plastic and relatively clean, you'll do more harm trying too fish it out or transferring your beer to a different fermentor.

Airlock activity is not a good indicator.

There was a recent post by a gentleman who had two carboys with the same wort as a starting point. One of them showed activity, the other didn't. They both finished the same.

Read the link in my signature. It will take you mind off of it, and provide some much needed entertainment while you wait.

Also, Notice the threads showing up at the bottom of the page. They are placed there based on the title of your thread. The better job you do titling your thread, the more relevant they will be.

Why is that? Sanitization is key!!!!! That's all I have read. And it's not bubbling in airlock

Sanitation is very important, but beer's not generally as fragile as all that. The bubbling or not bubbling has nothing to do with infection. Either your beer hasn't started fermenting yet or your fermentor isn't perfectly sealed (which is fine).

chances are you'll be fine. at this point there isn't anything you can do about it except want and see, so give it 3 weeks then have a taste when you take a gravity sample. if it's infected, you'll taste it.

beer is surprisingly resilient. if you pitched about healthy yeast, chances are good that they'll take over and out-compete the few nasties you introduced.

Why is that?

Because sometimes **** happens! And it's usually not a big deal, as long as the rest of your sanitation is sound. And no bubbles in the airlock could be a sign of a bad seal on your bucket, maybe nothing more or less than that.

The bottom line is to do your best, control what you can, and the rest will work itself out. If it doesn't, figure out what went wrong and try to avoid making that mistake again.

Back