how much priming sugar to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewScout

Reaction score
I brewed a Blonde ale about 2 weeks ago that is currently sitting in secondary (due to me needing primary bucket for batch of APA), and it looks pretty clear and about 1/4 inch of sediment in bottom. I have 2 questions. 1)I didn't top off wort to 5 gallons and the batch ended up at just under 4.5 gallons. I need to know how much priming sugar to add for this amount of beer. 2)Beer is looking pretty clear! Is there gonna be enough yeast to carb my brews in bottle, and if not what can I do about this?

there will be plenty of yeast remaining in suspension to carb your beer. There are multiple online calculators to help determine the appropriate amount of priming sugar. Just do a general google search for "carbonation calculator."

Vigo_Carpathian said:
What about taking into account the residual sugar in the beer itself?

Assuming it got to final gravity, there is next to no residual fermentable sugar in the beer.

A bigger thing to consider is the temperature of the beer. The lower the max temp during or after fermentation, the more dissolved CO2 will be left in solution. This can affect final carbonation. I believe it is accounted for by an input in the calculators, but I'm not sure

Not the fermentable kind. Those are long chain sugars that give body,color,& flavor/aroma. Thoe gravity numbers generally give the weight of the liquid compared to water.

As union said, they are not fermentable.

Thanks for the links. On the first one (tastybrew, I think it was called), it lists DME with several AA % numbers. What are those numbers and where can I find them? Should they be on the package? Can I google it? Thanks.

unionrdr said:
I was thinking those AA% numbers have to do with fermentability?...

That's seems right. Based on some quick math in my head, multiplying the required oz of DME from each of the options by its respective % yields the same number for each.

Any idea where that information is stored for a specific DME? I use briess mostly and I have never noticed it on the packaging.

JordanThomas said:
AA is Alpha Acid. I'm guessing that's referring to DME that is hopped. Could be wrong.

That was my first thought, but why would the hops in DME have anything to do with what amount is required to prime?

I just saw someone use AA when it appears they are talking about apparent attenuation, so I'm thinking we were right - fermentability.

...still wondering where to get those numbers because I checked my briess bag and I am sure it was not on there. I'll check with LHBS and maybe google it.

Back