• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Best price on 6.5 gallon carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freeokw

Reaction score
Has anyone found an especially good deal on 6.5 gallon carboys?
Time to add a few to the brewhouse.
Thanks,
Keith

Yeah, it seems there is always someone trying to unload some of these on craigslist. Are you strongly against buckets? If I had a do over with what I know now I think I might have saved the cash for something else and just bought a nice quality bucket or two.

inhousebrew said:
Yeah, it seems there is always someone trying to unload some of these on craigslist. Are you strongly against buckets? If I had a do over with what I know now I think I might have saved the cash for something else and just bought a nice quality bucket or two.

I'm not against buckets, thinking about picking up one or two actually. What I don't like about them is they are easily scratched, and the scratch marks can harbor bacteria, also they don't hold an air tight seal.

I'm not against buckets, thinking about picking up one or two actually. What I don't like about them is they are easily scratched, and the scratch marks can harbor bacteria, also they don't hold an air tight seal.

I'm not a genius by anymeans, but in my and alot of peoples opinions the scratched bucket thing is horse pucky. If you fill the bucket with water and sanatizer, the weight of the water will push its way into the crack, more brew lore. Its alot like the you need to replace your bucket every X amount of years/months/brews.I know a guy that has brewed 100 gallons or so a year for 12 years with the same bucket, no problems.

I highly suggest a bucket or two and a carboy, only if you ever want to secondary anything. Save the money for more malts and hops

huntingohio said:
i'm not a genius by anymeans, but in my and alot of peoples opinions the scratched bucket thing is horse pucky. If you fill the bucket with water and sanatizer, the weight of the water will push its way into the crack, more brew lore. Its alot like the you need to replace your bucket every x amount of years/months/brews.i know a guy that has brewed 100 gallons or so a year for 12 years with the same bucket, no problems.

I highly suggest a bucket or two and a carboy, only if you ever want to secondary anything. Save the money for more malts and hops

+1

Craigslist is a good place to go.... I sold Seven of them that way... anything $30 or under is a good price as far as I know since it does not include shipping.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd probably just buy buckets. Shoot, we only have a 6.5 and a 5 gallon carboy, but I think those ran us $70 combined. That would have been enough to get a wort chiller instead. That would have been money better spent.

Even a bucket can be used as a secondary (Home Depot bucket with a grommeted lid). Plus, the only reason I really like to secondary is for dry hopping, and dry hopping in a carboy is just a mess.

That is definitely the down side of buckets but I think if you just follow appropriate cleaning measures like using some PBW and maybe a nice soft rag to scrub if needed you should be fine. Do that and don't store anything that might scratch a bucket inside of it and you should be fine. That said, I do have carboys and I do like being able to see into them. I like the two better bottles I have, they are like a go between for buckets and carboys.

Latest posts

Back