Frigidaire FRT03CNGW - Full dismantle - move guts to new chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psych

Reaction score
Update Oct 6th: IT'S ALIVE! Updated this first post with all the details!!

Found a 3 cu ft mini fridge on our local classifieds a while back, $20, thought I'd pick it up and see if I can convert it to a small kegerator. Well it turned out to be too small for 2 kegs, and too short for just one, so: why not strip out the compressor, coils, freezer tray and move it to my own custom built box!

Had I known how much super static tiny foam balls I'd be dealing with, I might have not bothered but it is pretty fun exploring by dismantling. :rockin:

Nothing without some pictures:

Here's a shot of the fridge with my fermentation bucket for size comparison:

7345-6510.jpg

Here's the inside before any work is done:

7346-6511.jpg

I managed to just pop the back super-thin steel plate off, it was stuck on by just the expanding foam insulation. Chipping away at this slowly with a random metal flange and a screwdriver, reveals the cold side of the lines:

7347-6512.jpg

There's two hot-side lines from the compressor, one left and one right, presumably there's side wall heat dispersing coils on both sides and perhaps a line across the top too. So, took my Dremel with a cutoff wheel very gently to the inner liner, which was super thick near the front of the fridge, and cut a line across one side. Not deep, barely into the foam at all, just enough to cut the plastic.

Peeled all that plastic back, and started cutting foam out in cubes until I found the lines in the wall. You can see the line that comes from the compressor at the bottom, this goes to the front of the fridge, snakes up the side along the front edge and goes into the loops you see there. The silver stuff is metallic tape of some sort, cuts easily, and it's just the same copper tube beneath it.

7349-6514.jpg

The line does indeed go into the roof of the fridge, so I think there's coils up there too. That's a shame because it's much harder to work bent over like that. Might move it onto the workbench for that part.

One full side exposed:

7348-img-5615.jpg

Found a GREAT way to get through the thick plastic near the outer edge: my dremel with the spiral cutting bit, and a guide set to only a 1/4 inch or so depth. Ran it down the side and had a super fast, super smooth, no worries cut done in 20 seconds. Compared to 20 minutes of sawing on the other side...

7376-6539.jpg

I confirmed that the sort of metal box and tray the compressor sits in is just calked to the fridge sides so I can easily break the calk, remove the screws that hold it to the fridge body, free up the lines on the top and other side, cut the hot side lines from the tape and pull. That should pull the whole whack of stuff out.

I'm really trying to enjoy the journey on this and not worry so much about getting to the finish fast, or even what the finished product will look like. I would really like to build an exactly sized, single tap kegerator, in a custom box. I don't need it, but could be a neat piece to build and own. Super small footprint is what I'd like.

I'll post more as I progress on the dismantle and build up!

Update April 9th! - I've managed to get the compressor, the evaporator tray and it's line, and all of the copper heat dispersion lines out of the fridge! It now looks like this:

7396-2140.jpg

The bottom pan was screwed onto the folded under sides of the fridge, and that pan was screwed onto the compressor mount plate. Had to bend some metal to get the bottom pan detached from the compressor mount plate, which also meant that the coils had zero support, they'd just be hanging off the compressor. That's no good, way too bendy for my liking. So I've strung the unit up on my bench to keep things somewhat upright:

7397-2139.jpg

I presume it's still in working order, as nothing was kinked and I was very gentle with the removal of the foam from around the lines and the eventual removal of the compressor and assorted bits. Now I need to finalize what I'm doing with it, which may be a dual zone fermentation chamber. I also have a Danby DWC283 with no refrigerant in it (came to be busted, for free). I'd like to either use it entirely, or pull the nice LED thermostats and control modules from it to combine with this compressor into a new box. We'll see!

I'll continue to update here when I'm next working on it, of course.

Update July 3rd! - Still keeping this project in mind, however it's transitioned to a "build a fermentation chamber" project. I'd like two zones, and I have a lot of parts stripped from a free wine fridge that had a blown compressor. The challenge now is to form the working compressor and bits I stripped from the fridge into a usable shape that still allows the hot side coils to disperse their heat and to be tucked into as small a space as possible.

Here's where I'm at with that so far:

img_0926-55455.jpg

I was able to bend the hot side coils pretty easily by hand but just for good measure to prevent kinks I made my bends around a full unopened tube of calking. That works pretty well! I did a good bit of bending the really thin copper tube (wire?) after the expansion valve at the end of the hot side coils. That was an easy way to sort of twist around an entire side of the coils.

Still some shifting to do with the coils and need a way to nicely secure them, possibly TO something, something metal perhaps...but otherwise it looks like it'll work!

Update October 4th! - Progress! I've purchased roughly $80 in materials to build a 2-chamber, single zone (for now) fermentation chamber. This includes 3 inch 'Plastispan' insulating foam (r-15'ish). It fits two fermenter buckets with a bit of room to spare, it could hold a corny keg, or a carboy or two. Here's the not-sealed and no-top pics:

img_1226-56706.jpg

and

img_1225-56705.jpg

Update October 6th! - IT'S ALIIIIIIIIVE! It's not polished or presentable yet, but it's wholly functional and is undergoing a test to see how well it holds temperatures, and if there'll be moisture troubles off the condenser.

I mounted the compressor to the side of the box, the cold side is insulated and running into the chamber. The hot side I managed to bend around the corner and sandwich it all between the outer plywood shell and an inner thin board I placed in that side to protect the foam, keep the hot stuff off of it, etc.

Here's some shots:

First, the compressor mounted to the side, bit shoddy mounting system but it holds it fine.
img_1228-56727.jpg

Then here's the hotside in it's plywood sammich:
img_1230-56728.jpg

Salvaged wine fridge door hung, opens fine, rests on the door hinges when open so I can leave it open if I want, and a good shot of the compressor side:
img_1234-56729.jpg

And finally the condenser with the top open:
img_1237-56730.jpg

So far so good, I hooked the old thermostat from the original fridge up for now and have used the course adjust screw on it to make it shut off at 63, checking in on it periodically here to see how my bucket of water is doing :) I sealed all the interior edges with aluminum HVAC tape, put a liner down - just some spare thin plastic sheeting I had kicking around, made sort of a pan out of it. Only concern now is for air leaks and for moisture, unsure if I'll need to line the whole thing with plastic to keep the foam dry.

It's alive, I'm so stoked!

I bet it turns out to be a classic. Keep us up to date!! I am watching this while we are travelling home! When I get home I can start my Keezer and plant my hops!! Yes a hop line on a pulley is on the list!!!!

For sure, I'll get some more work on it tomorrow night I think.

Updated the first post with today's progress. I've managed to get the compressor and its bits out of the fridge housing without any problems besides a mess, hurrah!

Minor update today as I've managed to bend back all of the hot side coils so I can place them ultimately behind the compressor (will cool this with a fan). This allows me a good way to point the cold bit forward and box it in!

As a side bonus: everything still works post bending, no change! This thing gets wickedly cold wickedly fast...for a 1.1amp fridge, I'm impressed!

I really, really want to do this VS cutting up a cabinet to shove the entire mini fridge in like my current plans consist of. Gah now I'm thinking about doing it again. So the hot side coils and the compressor just need to be outside the cooling area eh? With a fan blowing accross them or no?

I'd presume so, yeah. Not that air really is a great conductor of heat, but I'd wager it'd be fine. In the fridge where the coils come from originally they have the benefit of the outside shell to act as a heatsink, but yet no airflow at all. Hopefully with some airflow they can handle being munged up all together. :) I do plan on having at least a small fan near the coils/compressor to encourage airflow, probably something wired into the compressor power so when it turns on so does the fan. As when it's off, the coils won't be hot (mostly).

Looks like it'll be a week or so before I get some more time in on this, but I am putting together my plans for the chamber itself now.

I'll be mounting the compressor on some wood first though to ensure it still works at that point, then buying all of the chamber bits.

Definitely was no small amount of work to get the compressor out of the fridge whole, but if you can score an older one with exterior coils that'd be just an afternoon job or something.

Funny you say that. My first to - be kegerator had coils on the outside and I scrapped it because the thermostat was busted. This was before I knew I could hot wire it and use a tempo controller. I just picked a secondary fridge off the road so I case it all goes horribly wrong I wont be sacrificing my working kegerator

Added pics of the chamber in it's almost complete state, just need a top (putting on a glass wine-fridge door that weighs like 30lbs but is insulated), sealing, waterproofing (somewhat) the interior and eventually chuck some wood around it to make it look presentable. Then of course adding the compressor and such to it.

I have an STC-1000 ("Ebay temp controller") coming in the mail, the wine fridge controller parts worked perfectly mated up to the compressor however I couldn't override the highest temperature being 50f without an external controller doing all the work anyways. I'll salvage it for future project parts, otherwise none of that wine fridge will be used in this build.

Function over form for now, hope to have this setup and working real soon! Will use the regular thermostat for now and adjust the course adjustment screw to get to 64f or so, that'll do until I get the STC-1000!

So excited to see this actually progressing!

Psych said:
It's woooorrrrking! YAY! Updated the first post!

Hey congrats!

Small piece of advice: put some holes in that plywood over the hot side coils - that heat needs to go somewhere and right now its trapped in a box ...

You'll get better efficiency out of the unit if the hot side can "breath"

I know this may not make sense since in the original fridge it was sandwiches in the foam around the chamber too. But in my experience they're closer to the outer skin which ends up acting like a radiator. The plywood is not going to do that as well as the sheet metal of the original body.

Good luck!

That's a good call. Originally I was intending on putting them all in a metal box of some sort, and having a fan on them that kicked in with the compressor. I'll see what I can do on that and still have it look OK, thanks for the feedback!

Hey congrats!

Small piece of advice: put some holes in that plywood over the hot side coils - that heat needs to go somewhere and right now its trapped in a box ...

You'll get better efficiency out of the unit if the hot side can "breath"

I know this may not make sense since in the original fridge it was sandwiches in the foam around the chamber too. But in my experience they're closer to the outer skin which ends up acting like a radiator. The plywood is not going to do that as well as the sheet metal of the original body.

Good luck!

So on this note, I took some measurements of the fridge running in it's pictured state, no mods, just plywood sides. It was running for maybe 2 hours solid, the compressor was hot as heck and the heat dispersion lines were really hot too. Like couldn't hold my hand on them for more than a second, compressor was too hot to touch for half a second.

The temperature in the walls of the unit was maybe 120f or so, maybe more, I couldn't get my probe in very far.

So I modded my front plywood panel, I put on some metal plates on the back of it (salvaged from that wine fridge), ones that had grills on them. Cut some holes in the plywood for those grills to vent through and my temps were down to about 110f on another similar test. Not good enough.

I then mounted two fans on the far right side, near the top, computer fans basically (from the wine fridge) and now my temps in the plywood walls don't go above 85f.

The compressor still gets hot, but not as much, and the lines are not as hot either. In fact, the unit cools faster too, it was a noticeable difference!

I'd like to still add a fan pointed directly at the compressor though.

Just wanted to say, great looking build, and very ingenious execution. You have my respect, thanks for sharing.

John

Hoping I can give back a little by documented it as much as possible.

Boy does mail from China take forever or what, come on STC1000!

I am using the guts from my Haier Kegerator to cool a larger under bar insulated chamber. Just started my dismantle and expect it to be easier as the radiator part is exposed. I will have to bend the black tube down a bit to fit it height wise though.

I am intensely paranoid and just wanted to know how delicate these tubes are. you bent them against a caulk tube, but how carefully. I am just having trouble tackling this part as i dont want to trash a perfectly good kegerator.

Any advice on technique etc. is appreciated and great build!

tn375_large_haierblack_bak113010102226.jpg

I'm not sure you don't have some coils in the right side of the fridge - right side in that picture, left from the front. Check those copper lines from the compressor and make sure there aren't some going into that wall.

The coils are surprisingly flexible. Your biggest worry is kinking, so try to bend around something sorta soft. I used a tube of caulk and that worked well for slight bends.

But my copper tubing was from the inside of the fridge (sorta, in the walls) and it seems like what you want to bend there is an outside thing, they may make those tougher.

Suggest as little bending as possible, if you can just mount that whole hot side assembly as one flat unit, that's ideal.

Always ensure when bending these that it's room temp, and not turned on. Don't do it right after it was on, so it's too hot, or for the cold side, too cold.

Good luck!

For some reason I cannot edit my main or secondary post in this thread to add new info, but I should mention the followup updates:

STC-1000 temperature controller wired in - this is a must do, the fridge controller was crap for this purpose. Swings of 5-10 degrees across the box.

I've got a fan in there that comes on when the compressor does, and also have two computer fans on the front of the unit where the hotside coils are, they come on with the compressor as well, and pull out some of the warm air from that compartment.

I've also rigged up a drip tube that the evaporator sits over so the moisture from it does not drip on my foam. It's basically a foot long length of black pvc pipe, cut in half lengthwise. Then cut the ends so can join together in an L shape, as that's the shape of my evaporator. Glued those together with drilled a hole in the middle for it to drain. This is suspended from the top of the evaporator by some twine and the hole sits over a cup I've stuck in there.

The amount of moisture is so little that I never see more than a half inch in the cup even when it's running at just above freezing with 10 gallons of beer in there. I've never had to empty it, it just evaporates out on its own.

My foam has taken a few nicks and dings from me rushing to move something in or out, but otherwise it's been solid, hasn't gotten wet at all, no mold issues or anything, no air leaks in the foam. I do have an air leak at the top still around the door, it's not a perfect seal but being at the top it doesn't let a lot of cold out.

Overall this thing is working SO ridiculously well, I'm almost amazed. It holds temps better than any of my REAL fridges, including my kitchen fridge. I can heat things up, cool them down, I can fit kegs in here if I want to, man this is the stuff. And if the compressor ever kicks the bucket, it'd be SO easy to replace with another one.

That's awesome! I ended up chucking mine. Getting married, no money blah blah blah.

Thanks for all your effort in documenting this process, Psych. I have a "Mother of Fermentation Chamber" already built, but got tired of swapping ice blocks. I'd like to break down a mini cube fridge that's hanging around my sister's garage and rig the evaporator plate inside the chamber. Your lessons learned will help a ton with that!

Cheers!

Thanks for all your effort in documenting this process, Psych. I have a "Mother of Fermentation Chamber" already built, but got tired of swapping ice blocks. I'd like to break down a mini cube fridge that's hanging around my sister's garage and rig the evaporator plate inside the chamber. Your lessons learned will help a ton with that!

Cheers!

Right on, glad it can be of some use :) My chamber is still going strong!

Psych,

Very happy to have found this thread, because I am in the process of stripping down a similar fridge to yours. Very helpful thanks.

With mine, I have found that you can basically access the heat displacing coils directly from the outside after removing the outer casing, instead of going from the inside. I will still have to cut out a heap of that foam in the end though!!

Anyhow, here's my question: The hot coils are looped, going out and then returning to the compressor. So how did you manage to get the return section of the pipe back again with the coils seeming to lead away from the compressor? It is hard to see from the picture, but it looks like the original twisting shape of the coils has been basically maintained.

I need to secure the coils on a flat (narrow) surface with the coils going out and back, since the compressor has to be on the side (basically the same set up as yours.) I can't see how to do this while keeping the original shape in a narrow space as you have done without a lot of bending - or rather, straightening the coils though.

Cheers.

Hey Winchit,

Yeah I really should have tried harder to get the shell off, probably WAY cleaner doing it that way lol - I got skeered I might cut a coil and only had a dremel for the metal cutting, no tinsnips

To your question, yeah it's one big loop, so like right side of the compressor you have a hot-side coil that goes almost immediately to a that thickness of copper and starts winding back and forth along that side. It goes over the top, comes down the left side and into a very thin almost like a wire, tube. That thin bit gives lots of wiggle ability for that side.

But basically I did do a lot of bending and lucked out with something that sort of sandwiched the top coils together, careful not to kink them. So the side coils are sort of like they were before still, but the top bit I ... rotated a little I guess? So the loops up there aren't horizontal they're vertical, and then everything kinda can be sandwiched together.

Always bend that copper around something round at least an inch across if you can, so you don't kink. I did do some just by hand but only when I wasn't going for a sharp real bend.

Definitely try to secure your coils better after all this than I did, like with zap straps or something and put some sort of heat resistant padding between sections of them so they don't rattle. My hvac tape sorta works but it also didn't quite hold in some areas so I get rattles every now and then.

Psych, I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I really want to make something like your build as I really like it. Good job! :mug:

How is it holding up? Any updated pics?

Wow talk about old thread - happy to say this beast is still working great! Both the heating element and the fridge portion.

I've not done as much brewing in the past 5 years due to having kids but getting back into it again now.

Lately I've used it to keep 10g worth of beer fermenting at 18c in a garage that's only 4c. The tiny heating element handled it great! This thing even survived a move to a new house, everything still working!

Back