Wet hop rate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertRGeorge

Reaction score
This may be covered somewhere on here but would anyone care to ball-park an amount of homegrown Nugget/Willamette/Fuggle blend (about equal amounts of each) to wet-hop in a continuous addition to a Northwest Pale Ale in a 5 gallon batch?

I'm thinking something like two to three ounces wet, as they are pretty resiny. I plan to dry hop with a Simcoe and Citra blend. Any thoughts?

I think it's 3 times what you would use dry. I can't remember the original source, but I heard it on Basic Brewing Radio.

Yep. 5 oz wet hops is about equal to one oz dried hops. Alternatively, you can estimate them at 1% AA.

I'm trying to get the bitterness and flavor right without the grassiness some people have mentioned. 5X the hops by weight seems like a huge amount.

Here's what I did: I have a lab scale good to 0.1g resolution. I have some dried hops from last year's crop of homegrown, and I took 3 average size cones and weighed them--0.9 grams. I took three cones from the new crop that looked like the same volume and weighed them--2 grams. So from experience with the dried hops I wanted about 60 grams dry weight combined boil and flavor hops. Dried hops weigh 45% of the equal volume of wet hops so I come up with about 130 grams of the wet hops. I will add these at 5 minute intervals through a 60 min boil--about 11 grams at a time.

Since I am also dry hopping I think it will be strongly citrus (simcoe, citra) and may overwhelm the wet hop aromatics, but here we go.

Back