Most brewed styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrim

Reaction score
Do you have a few styles you keep brewing over and over again, or do you just brew all different styles all the time? If you have a few you keep coming back to, what are your top 3?
My top three are:
Pale ale
Stout (but I think I hit the wall on this one recently)
Blonde (I'm almost embarrassed about this but its so refreshing and my friends all love it)

IPA and Porters, and the combination of the two, according to my wife, the CDA/BIPA.

APA
IPA
Any kind of lager ( doesnt matter what)

I brew everything. Been there; done that, on any thing with smoked malt and saison. Don't want to do lambics/sours. I either have a lager or am making one and I like them all.

And who doesn't like a Blow-your-head-off American IPA? Anyone just hearing about your homebrew obsession is going to drink your most neutral beer on hand but be most impressed with the AIPA.

At least that's my east-coast experience.

I brew IPAs the most- probably every second or third batch. The next would be APAs, and then ambers.

About every other month I brew something else- maybe a blonde or a kolsch, or a stout, etc. I make two to four lagers per year, depending on what I am in the mood for. Those are usually maibocks or Marzens.

I brew about 2-3 times per month.

For me it's:

1. Pale ales, usually IPAs or some APA variety, then
2. kolsch, then
3. a tie between Belgian-style pale ales, and variations on bocks (none too good, so far).

I do smaller (3-gallon) batches, with the occasional 5-gal, 2-3 times a month.

IPA and APA dominate my fermenters.

Stout/Amber are a close follower. Wheat gets made on occasion closer to summer months.

You did not ask for this but I have a spread sheet with the last 7 years of competitions from the National Home Brew Competition (what ever that is called - brain cramp)

This shows the percentage of entries in each category. Scottish and Irish Ales are REALLY dropping out of favor the last 3 or 4 years.

8.09% Stout
7.05% American Ale
6.60% India Pale Ale
5.77% Belgian Strong Ale
5.63% Belgian and French Ale
4.95% Specialty Beer
4.57% Porter
4.13% Smoke – Flavored and Wood – Aged Beer
4.09% Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer
3.89% Light Hybrid Beer
3.67% Scottish and Irish Ale
3.66% English Pale Ale
3.60% Strong Ale
3.29% Bock
3.24% English Brown Ale
3.09% German Wheat and Rye Beer
3.07% Pilsner
2.92% Sour Ale
2.73% Light Lagar
2.44% Dark Lager
2.24% Amber Hybrid Beer
2.04% Fruit Beer
2.00% European Amber Lager
1.89% Melomel (Fruit Mead)
1.47% Other Mead
1.37% Standard Cider and Perry
1.29% Specialty Cider and Perry
1.20% Traditional Mead

ESB is the most repeated beer I make. I make one about every third or fourth batch. Lately I've been rotating through yeasts to figure out which I like best. After that you never know. I do some IPA's but not as much as I used to. I always have a lager in some stage around. Maibocks being my favorite but Marzens probably the most frequent. Summer's coming so it's time for me to make some wheats again but first I'm planning an english barleywine. Every year I make one or two really big beers. Barleywine will be the first I've made this year and it will be my first barleywine.

It's good to have a certain style that you focus on think. Can take some of the little things you notice about the beer and procedure into other beers.
I guess my most done styles would be stouts or English browns.

I always try to have an APA/IPA around.
Saisons...love them
Belgians either BDSA or Tripels

Those three get about even amounts, and get brewed often.

I do throw others in the mix..Stouts, ESB's, Wheat ..

IPAs, stouts and saisons seem to be my most brewed styles. Probably my 3 favorite styles other than sours which I want to try and brew a few soon.

Back