Regrets about BCS or PIDs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summerofgeorge

Reaction score
I know there are quite a few threads with pros/cons of a BCS setup vs multiple PIDs. I've read through them and appreciate the information. It seems like for the most part, people who go with either system are usually happy with their choice. What I'm looking for are people who aren't happy with their setup or who switched and the reasons why. I thought this might be a better way to highlight some of the issues people have actually experienced as opposed to just discussing the potential cons.

I thought I was close to pulling the trigger on an all electric setup but the more I read, the more undecided I get. Maybe this will push me one way or the other. Thanks!

Happy with PID, there were some snags getting the whole system to work but I can not imagine a BCS would have been easier to get perfect.

For the record, I'm doing 10g batches with a 1250w eRIMS controlled by an Auber PID and I think it's great.

I use watlow PID's, and love them...please excuse my ignorance, but if anyone has a great link to exactly what a "bcs" system is I would sincerely be appreciative.

I currently have a PID system, I love it, but will probably be moving to BCS as funds allow because I am looking for something that can track temperatures and control fermentation. So the two, cons I would list are, PIDs can be expensive (more so than BCS depending on how many your system requires), and they cannot track data.

May be time to build a new brew stand and incorperate the bcs system:) 325.00 for the 462 system isn't bad, 2-3 pids and an enclosure to put them in would run close to that.

Still going to need an enclosure for mechanical relays/SSRs and the like if you're wanting to control elements, pumps, etc. I have a BCS and like it for the most part. Not too hot on the plotting functionality and also wish you could declare variables for temps (maybe you can, but I don't know how).

Back