Any of you ever met a hop you didn't like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I don't like hoppy beers I don't know a lot of the newer hops well enough to say whether I like them or not but I generally do not enjoy the very citrusy American hops. I like British, Belgian/French and noble hops.

Fuggles, blek! Dirt IPA!

They don't belong as an aroma hop, in my opinion, but I like early fuggles with other English varieties later.

Similarly, I'm with those who say all noble hops need at least five minutes to boil. So do Goldings. Cluster also - it's a little rough if you add it right before flameout, but otherwise it's almost my personal platonic ideal of hop flavor, around which other varieties orbit as delectable variations.

Bramling Cross. The bitterness is horrible, pungent and lingering. Ruined my English IPA.
Brewer's Gold. For the very same reason. Ruined my BPA, although i think i just overhopped...
Hallertauer Tradition. Bland.

zgoda said:
Bramling Cross. The bitterness is horrible, pungent and lingering. Ruined my English IPA.
Brewer's Gold. For the very same reason. Ruined my BPA, although i think i just overhopped...
Hallertauer Tradition. Bland.

I have used Hallertauer in beers like hefe's for example where you shouldn't be able to notice the hop at all. That got me thinking, why not just use whatever is in the fridge and adjust for the proper IBU is the bitterness is so low anyway? I did a brown ale with Columbus last time. It was like .4 ounce. Save some loot.

You are correct, sorry about that.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Wow that must be a recent change, used to always be Perle and Cascade.

I'm not a big fan of the earthy notes that Goldings and Fuggles give. I'm also finding that I don't like Cascade by itself, doesn't make a good SMaSH at all.

Sorachi Ace is by far my least favorite hop. It is described as "lemony" but all I get is a weird medicinal flavor. I can immediately pick it out in any beer and it completely ruins it for me...

kingmatt said:
Sorachi Ace is by far my least favorite hop. It is described as "lemony" but all I get is a weird medicinal flavor. I can immediately pick it out in any beer and it completely ruins it for me...

I don't get anything medicinal from it, but I don't get lemon either.... I think ill have to make a 1 gallon batch out of some second runnings on the next apa or ipa and try them one last time before I trash the remaining stock.

Quoting myself, but anyway...

After 10 weeks of conditioning(!) all the harsh bitterness has gone. Unfortunately, i can not even notice expected blackcurrant flavor. The beer turned out fine.

Back