Warning signs of homebrew addiction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donjr721

Reaction score
Hi, my name is don, i am a brew addict. Starting a list. please add to it.:mug:

1. i was at the grocery store, we went down the feminine hygene isle, i saw a package titled something like Azo Yeast, and the first thing that popped in my head was brewing yeast.

2. you mix yeast saved from batches with sugar and other stuff just to see something fermenting in between batches.

3. you count out change to cash in to buy your next list of ingredients.

4. your friends at break time ask you if all you know how to talk about is making beer.

5. you wake yourself up talking in your sleep about gravity readings and mash calculations.

6. your friends that really like your brew refer to you as "Sir Brewmaster"

please add to the list if you know other warning signs.

8. your three year old daughter argues with you over who the brewmaster is, she says "i'm the brewmaster", i say, "no, i am the brewmaster."
9. your three year old daughter knows the names of several styles of beer.

you have the next 4 months of brewing planned out and written on your closet mirror in window marker.

I've also started looking at random items in the grocery store wondering how they'd ferment/add to a beer.

TrainSafe said:
You take a vacation day just to brew. (I wasn't going to have time during the weekend, and my pipeline was in jeopardy.)

Boy I've done this quite a bit lately with my weekends consumed by Little League baseball.

I'll add: an innocent listen to Jamil's podcast in AM traffic leads to two hours blown once you arrive at work researching styles and recipes.

Scruffy1207 said:
You spend half your shift reading every post on a home brewing forum (which you have the app for).

I have a whole page of beer apps yessir.

When your wife's had enough of you reading up on/talking about brewing towards the end of the day. Even though she's brewing her own now...:drunk:

1.) you never see a piece of produce without wondering what the best method for adding it to a beer would be, or what style would be best to add it to
2.) you keep buying new carboys so you can brew yet another batch before the 6 you already have going finish fermenting.
3.) the word "liquor" no longer means whiskey or vodka to you
4.) your keep your kitchen sinks and counter spotless and sanitary not because you make food in there, but to keep it sanitary for brewing.
5.) you barely have any groceries in your house to eat, yet you have 30 pounds of brewing grains and 5 pounds of hops
6.) you feel wasteful when you drink a bottle of any unfiltered commercial beer without making a yeast starter
7.) you wash your yeast, but your car is filthy
8.) you consider cloning a beer that you don't even really like just for the challenge

I especially like #4. It's not like my kitchen was filthy before, but now that I brew in there it's like an operating room.

You get upset when someone interrupts your bottling via phone call.

"Dude. I am bottling her from the bottom! Call back in an hour"
"An hour? Liar."

When 100% of your hygiene skill goes to beermaking, and you forget how to shower and brush teeth.

When you enter the beer isle at the store, and never leave it happy.

5.) you barely have any groceries in your house to eat, yet you have 30 pounds of brewing grains and 5 pounds of hops

+1 Add to that a few packs of yeast and its the story of my life

Add:

1) SWMBO reams you for emptying the checking account, and then pulling out of savings to buy more brewing toys

2) Every time you're on the computer and SWMBO hears you laughing and asks why, you just respond "brewing ****" to keep from getting yelled at after explaining whatever drawn out brewing related humorous thing you're laughing at.

I am never using SWMBO in a post tho. Well I just did but...

I just started tho. I have 1 beer in the house and it is about to be consumed. I can't wait to have a 100 beers my basement. Thats why I got started in the first place!

you only buy a commercial beer when you want to culture the yeast from the bottle

AdamWiz said:
you only buy a commercial beer when you want to culture the yeast from the bottle

I love good commercials. Craft commercial. Probably the one thing I am hesitant about is not being able to drink as much of it.

-you read books about brewing while at work
-you brew 2 batches for every 1 you drink
-when people try to enter your conversation about brewing and really have no idea what you're talking about, you just continue to speak in brew-talk just so you can keep talking about brewing

you have the next 4 months of brewing planned out and written on your closet mirror in window marker.

you have a whole excel sheet with timelines schedules, assumptions of how long the brew lasts, plus down to the tenth of oz for each grain needed and hops.

that would be this guy!:fro:

When you spend 6+ hours analyzing and charting the last 8 years of your water reports looking for patterns to best determine trends in your water chemistry.

Here's a good example - I had an exam in my Accounting class today. So I spent about 2 hours yesterday studying for the exam, but I spent about 3 hours studying brewing stuff. You gotta have priorities:)

When your wife has to explain to your kid's preschool teacher why she painted a picture of a beer bottle with "DAD" across the top... (also, you hang picture on kegerator)

Awesome! Or as I also posted in another thread, your 2 1/2 year old puts his water glass on his toy grill and proceeds to tell SWMBO that "I'm making beer!" (I'm still proud...)

Lodovico said:
When looking at new homes, your biggest consideration is: "How will this setup work for a home brewery?"

Heheh yeah well I work in peoples homes and always judge them based off of how kick ass it would be for a party. Indoors, outdoors and parking. Also where my recording studio will be but now I have to fit in a brewery too. Those 2 floor 5 car garages get bonus points from me. The car can sit in the driveway.

Back