Philly Beer Bar Raided....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That's a shame. An officer thought this would be his ticket to a promotion so they invested tens (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars in resources hoping they would uncover a "bootleg" type scheme. Meanwhile, down the street somebody was ruining a teenager's life selling them E or meth.

Intersting yet sad article. A better approach would have been some undercover investigation, gather compelling evidence, do some research and then proceed with some sort of action..A 'raid' is a little over the top IMHO.

Classic example of law enforcement shooting first and asking questions later.

1. Name a beer Pliny the ____________(fill in the blank)
2. Say it's only made once a year and charge $25 a glass
3. Profit!

Alcohol laws in this nation are ridiculous and onerous.

I'm going to clarify your statement just slightly.

Alcohol laws in the state or "Commonwealth" of Pennsylvania are just plain insane.

I bet if you look into it the bar owners didn't vote for Fast Eddie in the last election...

not true, someone was just saying how in WI, kids can drink at the bar underage as long as theyre with a parent.

The cops confiscated hundreds of bottles of expensive ales and lagers, now in State Police custody at an undisclosed location.

Police, when questioned about this location and would would become of the beer, were quoted as saying "Dude... it's gonna be a TOTAL RAGER!!!!"

OK, after reading that I envision a scene similar to a Benny Hill chase, how sad is it that this is a prime example of your government at work on your dime?

not true, someone was just saying how in WI, kids can drink at the bar underage as long as theyre with a parent.

From the Wisconsin Dept of Revenue Site:

What is the legal drinking age in Wisconsin?
Twenty-one years of age. This is also the age at which a person can be on licensed premises. There are some exceptions, which we will discuss below.

http://www.revenue.wi.gov/faqs/ise/atundrg.html

Maybe this "someone" was referring to kids being able to BE in a bar with parents.

Fair enough, I'll agree to that. As long as you aren't a Yankees fan...

Not sure what it has to do with agreeing that Alcohol laws are crazy, but, you better believe I am a Yankees fan. Was there to see them beat the Phillies in Game 2 last year also! (The only MLB player I have ever personally known was on the Phillies btw..)

Oh jeez. This is McCarthyism alive and well.
The alleged offense: Although the bar owners had bought the beer legally from licensed Pennsylvania distributors and had paid all the necessary taxes, the police claimed that nobody had registered the precise names of the beers with the state Liquor Control Board - a process that requires the brewers or their importers to pay a $75 registration fee for each product they want to sell in Pennsylvania
Oh no! That's a horrible crime! Thank God we live in a such a save society that our police can waste their resources on a "$75 registration fee".
"More than a dozen armed State Police officers" had recovered a $75 registration fee. Excuse me, but since when is Philadelphia governed by a Christian Al-Qaeda? Tomorrow: a public stoning of a woman who ate a slice of bacon without wearing a burka.

Man, **** like this makes my blood boil. Its sad when the worst laws to break involve not letting Uncle Sam get his cut of alcohol taxes.

Wow, nice show of force by our government overlords. I'm glad those armed troopers made us all safer by going in guns drawn and taking down these obvious menaces to society.

Don't forget to thank your nearest officer for all of their hard work...

I'm going to clarify your statement just slightly.

Alcohol laws in the state or "Commonwealth" of Pennsylvania are just plain insane.

I bet if you look into it the bar owners didn't vote for Fast Eddie in the last election...

He had it correct the first time. I read on this forum that the manual on federal regulations on beer LABELS is an inch thick. This is hardly the land of the free anymore.

It was most likely another bar owner calling in a favor with a friend on the force. Luckily I got me some Younger before it all went down!

I often wonder how anyone, in our current state, thinks to them self that law enforcement is an honorable profession; let alone devote a career to it. run in guns-a-blazing stealing legal, purchased, and taxed beer because of a 75 dollar registration fee who's responsibility to pay falls solely on the brewery and not the bar owner. wouldn't a simple fine or citation to said brewery suffice?

shoot first ask questions later. nothing to see here folks, move along....

1. Name a beer Pliny the ____________(fill in the blank)
2. Say it's only made once a year and charge $25 a glass
3. Profit!

FWIW, The 25 buck event is an upcoming (and still scheduled) benefit event for Haiti relief and an animal rescue fund. It generally pours arround the same basic prices of any big IIPA...it just kicks in no time flat.

The more info that has come out about this, the more it looks like another bar tried to screw the owners of Local44/Res/SPTR through the PALCB.

From the Wisconsin Dept of Revenue Site:

http://www.revenue.wi.gov/faqs/ise/atundrg.html

Maybe this "someone" was referring to kids being able to BE in a bar with parents.

No, he was correct. Kids and spouses can drink at home and in bars while accompanied by a parent or spouse of legal drinking age. The nannies are trying to change this right now, even though there is not one documented example of a problem it's created. My first wife was 20 when we got married (I was 23), so I've taken advantage of it.

Intersting yet sad article. A better approach would have been some undercover investigation, gather compelling evidence, do some research and then proceed with some sort of action..A 'raid' is a little over the top IMHO.

Classic example of law enforcement shooting first and asking questions later.

How about we recognize that in the age of craft breweries, brew pubs and expanded global trading, these laws are archaic? Just one bureaucracy washing the back of another. Can't wait until these ass clowns control our health care.

http://joesixpack.net/blog/archives/596

http://noplcb.blogspot.com/2010/03/memphis-44-resurrection-raids-and-why.html

http://www.brewlounge.com/2010/03/shut-up-about-your-pliny-younger.html

more info for anyone interested in reading up on it

How about we recognize that in the age of craft breweries, brew pubs and expanded global trading, these laws are archaic? Just one bureaucracy washing the back of another. Can't wait until these ass clowns control our health care.

yay, here comes the idiocy... keep your **** to the debate forum please

BAH!

This sucks....the PLCB needs to go. I used to live outside of Philly and we used to go to Delaware for all our alcohol needs (Total Wine and More FTW!!).
The real problem is that the PLCB officers are now state police officers. A couple of years ago they were integrated, this caused the PLCB to have some actual "muscle" to do their job. Unfortunately, crap like this is more likely to happen.

i live south of philly and definitely go to Total Wine to do all my shopping... Alcohol prices are actually pretty similar now, and you can get some real good pricing on some wines in PA , but the selection is much better in DE, and the wine deals are not the norm... they are initially out $7200 in stock, but i dont think you can spend $7200 in advertising and get as much out of it as this will.

agreed. any publicity is good publicity.

I think what burns me most is that somehow the idea that an anonymous claim of unregistered beers triggered this type of response. I understand having to investigate all complaints and conduct an investigation, that's what police do, but this seems a bit out of control.

its definitely not a response an anonymous "citizen complaint" will EVER get. The citizen either has friends or a competitor happened to a PLCB member, etc. What kind of citizen actually knows which beers are and aren't on the PA registered list, or would even check? and why? And the things that also annoys me is that they say roughly half of what was taken, if not more, was things that WERE on the list, things like... Duvel, and Monk's Cafe Flemish which is sold everywhere in the city, most of all at... Monk's Cafe.

Amen, I've already seen my healthcare deteriorate over the last 2 years to the point of unless it's broken, bleeding profusely or am near death, I don't go to the doc or I've just wasted thousands of dollars. That's money I can spend brewing beers! :)

its definitely not a response an anonymous "citizen complaint" will EVER get. The citizen either has friends or a competitor happened to a PLCB member, etc. What kind of citizen actually knows which beers are and aren't on the PA registered list, or would even check? and why? And the things that also annoys me is that they say roughly half of what was taken, if not more, was things that WERE on the list, things like... Duvel, and Monk's Cafe Flemish which is sold everywhere in the city, most of all at... Monk's Cafe.

You've touched on a couple very interesting points that this situation raises: the impractical nature of the registered brands red tape & the fact that the police and PALCB allowed themselves to be used as tools in someone's personal vendetta against a couple and their establishments.

Many of the beers confiscated were purchased when the brand was actively produced and registered but is no longer produced and thus, not registered. For example, they confiscated bottles of limited production anniversary beers (previously registered when sold) and Heavyweight Brewing beers, which has been out of business for several years (also registered when sold). Certain beers are registered once as a "generic" and change slightly over time, like the Sly Fox single hop beers, causing even more confusion. When you look at some of the beers confiscated it clearly demonstrates that even those charged with enforcing the law don't understand the law.

So wine bars can accumulate and bitching cellar of great wine but beer bars can't because the brand is no longer produced and registered?

This stunt could have happened in just about any bar in the Philly metro or any other state that has a similar registration requirement...but it just so happened to be the result of an anonymous tip that snared three establishments owned by the same couple. We're not talking bootlegging..these beers were purchased from licensed wholesale distributors & the appropriate taxes paid. Anyone with half a brain should have seen what was happening and put the brakes on these raids.

That is just a crock of $h*t.

I spent most of my life living 50 miles north of Philadelphia. The city is riddled with drugs, gun violence, organized crime, etc. So they spend substantial resources on a raid to remove some unregistered beers from some local tax paying taverns. Woo hoo. Sure is a lot easier humping beer out of a bar than trying to catch those crack dealers downtown. Score 1 for the city of brotherly hate.

Oh jeez. This is McCarthyism alive and well.

Oh no! That's a horrible crime! Thank God we live in a such a save society that our police can waste their resources on a "$75 registration fee".
"More than a dozen armed State Police officers" had recovered a $75 registration fee. Excuse me, but since when is Philadelphia governed by a Christian Al-Qaeda? Tomorrow: a public stoning of a woman who ate a slice of bacon without wearing a burka.

I doubt is has anything to do with religion but every thing to do with a competitor.

Back