Read this before you buy from Kegkits.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't buy from him online, he's just too busy to be trying to run an online business (he does the LHBS on the side and works fulltime as an engineer). However, if you're local and can get by his shop when he's open (friday and saturday only) he's actually a really cool/knowledgable guy to talk to.

Unfortunately, if most people here were walking into his shop it would be with a baseball bat in hand.

haha, yeah. I would never buy from him online OR recommend that anyone else does that's for sure. Infact I dont' buy much from him locally b/c his hours aren't convenient for me, but when I was just getting started brewing or when I need something and can plan to get there, he's always been friendly, professional, and extremely helpful to me. He once saved a brewday by having the right yeast when midwest sent the wrong yeast :p

OK I can 1 up ya. :(
I ordered back in April of 09 2 buckets. They took a while but finally came in. The holes looked like a child drilled them. I still have to turn one valve to keep it from hitting the floor. He also forgos the "O" ring and just shipped a piece of hose for the bubbler. I've had a problem getting them to seal right ever since I got them. Also I paid for UPS and got USPS. Apparently so he could make more money.

OK now here's the problem.....

I just ordered my keg valves and CO2 tank from him. I totally forgot who he was and ORDERED AGAIN! I got the valves but have yet to get the tank. Hope I didn't f' myself and have to put in a refund to my cc company.

If you have some extra money that you really don't need go ahead. Maybe if you send him enough I can get my refund for the order I canceled over a month ago.

Don't buy from him online, he's just too busy to be trying to run an online business (he does the LHBS on the side and works fulltime as an engineer). However, if you're local and can get by his shop when he's open (friday and saturday only) he's actually a really cool/knowledgable guy to talk to.

If this is really the case, he either needs to hire someone or close up shop.

The BBB will close him down forceably soon enough.

I had noticed he joined on here in December I think......But he had never posted anything.....If I remember his username right, it was Thargrave.....but now I can't find it i users in my area.......He must have been checking up on his rep....

The funny thing I've noticed lately, after reading all of these threads calling him out as a scammer, is that his ebay record is rated "100% satisfaction."

EDIT HUGE EDIT!!!!! I was mistaking KegWorks for KegKits! D'oh! I have actually been NOT ordering from Kegworks thinking it was this a-hole.

Looks like Ebay has had enough too. searched stores for kegkits & came bakc with nothing. :rockin: Probably hard to run an Ebay store w/o PayPal.

A thief is not a "cool guy". Not that I'm calling him a thief, I wouldn't do that. However, I received a reply from the TX attorney general's office (my state), today telling me that they are in contact with the AL attorney general's office regarding my complaint against him. That's about all they stated, but I have also made a complaint with the AL attorney general's office about him (his state). I've also notified the IRS about his practices. I figured they would be interested in how much money he's making by not providing goods or services. I can guarantee you he isn't reporting all the money he is taking from people with no intent at all to provide goods. Hopefully I will get more information soon from one of the state's attorney general.

I wish I would have seen this thread a week ago. I ordered about $150 of supplies from him. I was a bit put out when I got an e-mail saying my order wouldn't ship for at least 2 weeks because he was 'real' busy. If I'd known that I would of ordered elsewhere. Now you guys have me worried I won't see my stuff for months.

His prices seemed pretty good and I remember ordering malt extract from him about a year and a half ago, no problem.

He is definitely a theif. He took my money back in March '09 and never sent me what I ordered, despite the brief replies I got from him saying he would refund me. My experience is not even close to unique. Even if you live in his area and it's very convenient for you, please do not support someone that blatantly robs your fellow homebrewers.

Don't hold your breath. Call your CC company and cancel the charges now. Even if he intends to send you your order (doubtful), he already took your money and it will be a long time before you see that order, if at all. I'm sure you were expecting it to ship within 3 days, which is what his site says. I've never seen a more dishonest homebrew supply vendor. Get your money back while you still can.

If this is really the case, he either needs to hire someone or close up shop.

The BBB will close him down forceably soon enough.

:off: the BBB has no power, quite frankly that's the big scam that is the BBB they act like they can "DO" something but all they can do is post a "bad rating" on you but beyond that, it's up to consumers to READ that report and use it in their decision making. As for DOING anything if you don't want to deal with the BBB as a merchant you simply ignore them and that's that. They have no power whatsoever they just act as if they do.

Here is -everything- they can do to kegkits:

http://www.bbb.org/northern-alabama...tom-hargrave-sales-in-huntsville-al-900050886

That's it right there, pretty much all they can, or will, do about kegkits. The Attorney General might do something if there's enough complaints. But the BBB has no power.

I was a business owner for years and paid to be a BBB member for a while but quickly realized it was more or less a scam, being a member didn't do anything for me and as a non member I was still able to respond to, and satisfy every complaint that came in member, or not, so what was I paying for anyway? That little seal? That's ok I'll save my money :)

Ok back to kegkits discussion! It's people like him why I keep one "real" credit card in my pocket, chargebacks are your friend.

Up date to my saga---Good news for me---- The CO2 tank arrived today and everything was fine. I had sent a email asking what was going on with the last half of the order but never received a reply. So CS sucks but doesn't matter cause I'm the proud owner of a Keezer and will be carbing my first keg tonight:)

Ok Got Another Email from the BBB...Check it out appearantly they are goin to be on the news tonight at 10pm Central

2-10-2010
I am writing to you because the Better Business Bureau's records show that you filed a complaint with the BBB concerning Kegkits.com that was closed either as unanswered or unresolved. A Huntsville, AL television station, WHNT News 19, is airing a story about the company tomorrow night at 10:00p.m. CST, and asked us to make you aware of this. The station will be placing a video version of the story on their website at www.whnt.com under their "Taking Action" section after the story airs.

The station also asked us to share the following link to a section of their website which contains a comments section for public posts.

http://www.whnt.com/news/whnt-home-brew-business-investigation-021110,0,7790979.story

Also, if the company has contacted you and has resolved your situation since we closed out your complaint, we would appreciate you notifying us of this.

Warm regards,
Michele (McDaniel) Mason| President

256.533.1177 (fax)
[email protected]
www.bbb.org | Start With Trust

Better Business Bureau of North Alabama
107 Lincoln Street PO Box 383
Huntsville, AL 35801 Huntsville, AL 35804

I wonder if they are going to mention that homebrewing is illegal in AL. Lol, this guy deserves whatever he gets.

Still havent gotten my refund. Been in dispute with my credit card company for 2 weeks and have had to do all kinds of paperwork. This guy needs a good beating.

My bank pulled my $$ back (debit card) pending a response from kegkits, I told them not to hold their breath. I think I'll send them the news link just for fun.

Indeed pass it on.
It will be nice to put the name and Face together so I can pick him out easier at the NHC....finally we can see what the crook looks like!

Ok Got Another Email from the BBB...Check it out appearantly they are goin to be on the news tonight at 10pm Central

2-10-2010
I am writing to you because the Better Business Bureau's records show that you filed a complaint with the BBB concerning Kegkits.com that was closed either as unanswered or unresolved. A Huntsville, AL television station, WHNT News 19, is airing a story about the company tomorrow night at 10:00p.m. CST, and asked us to make you aware of this. The station will be placing a video version of the story on their website at www.whnt.com under their "Taking Action" section after the story airs.

The station also asked us to share the following link to a section of their website which contains a comments section for public posts.

http://www.whnt.com/news/whnt-home-brew-business-investigation-021110,0,7790979.story

Also, if the company has contacted you and has resolved your situation since we closed out your complaint, we would appreciate you notifying us of this.

Warm regards,
Michele (McDaniel) Mason| President

256.533.1177 (fax)
[email protected]
www.bbb.org | Start With Trust

Better Business Bureau of North Alabama
107 Lincoln Street PO Box 383
Huntsville, AL 35801 Huntsville, AL 35804

Haha cool I'm gonna watch the news tonight then! Starts in 30 minutes :)

Tom Hargrave is a piece of work....see the video here

http://www.whnt.com/videobeta/?watchId=294b9857-01fe-4a43-9a0a-cbc8a92a5f66

I Like the part were hes interviewed what appears to be his driveway and says
"You got better things to do than chase people down...its like 6:30, 7 o'clock." OMG its like late or something to him....but he has no problems ripping people off at all hours of the day.

Here is the text version

Here are some user Comments along with Tom Hargrave's.... an hour and a half before it aired on the tv.
I Like how he says he was assaulted by the reporters coming to his house at 7pm, and that they should be prosecuted...lol
http://www.topix.net/forum/source/whnt/TTFEUBG9Q93FOFLOU

His web site indicates his shop is open Friday's from 6 to 8 pm and Saturday's by appointment.
Plus time and time again, his voice mail was full and we weren't able to leave a message.
We eventually found him coming home from work.

yeah, I saw the report also.......he was PISSED!!!! Got some good quotes....

"I'm busy and so are you! You have better things to do that track people down at 6:30"......hahahahhahah

and my favorite, "I'm not cheating anyone!"

Maybe finally this criminal will be put out of business. He's on the television website bragging on the fact that that story will only cause his Google rankings to go up. What a piece of work.

It's assault when someone actually pulls the rock up that you scurry under to hide from your customers Tom? Seriously?

Here's an idea. Take a hit on your profit margin and get someone to fill orders for you. You'll be able to fill more orders, make more cash and you might get return customers.

I would hate for this guy to put a black eye on the effort in Alabama to legalize homebrewing. He's just the negative, criminal element that would be used to torpedo the bill in the legislature.

I can't believe this guy is still in business. If the AG's office doesn't shut him down, I imagine eventually he'll get hit with a class action suit when he manages to piss off a homebrewing lawyer.

I can't believe this guy is still in business. If the AG's office doesn't shut him down, I imagine eventually he'll get hit with a class action suit when he manages to piss off a homebrewing lawyer.

Or a fellow HD rider with chapter brothers in the county.;)

kegkits investigation, video and comments

http://banjolawyer.blogspot.com/2010/02/whnt19-taking-action-investigation.html

I want all of you to know that legitimate homebrewers in north Alabama have nothing to do with this guy. He tried to join a respected club 4 years ago. He was not liked and was not welcome.

Tom Hargrave's continuing fraud is a real shame to the Alabama homebrewing community. And all this news comes at a time when honest Alabama homebrewers are struggling to gain legal status for their hobby. Hopefully, all of the exposure will serve to hasten the demise of this business. It's hard enough already to have to overcome the stereotypes and misconceptions that we have to deal with in the Alabama legislature. We sure don't need this.

No self respecting local homebrewer supports this business, and that has been the case for many years. Tom hargrave attempted to affiliate with a reputable local homebrew club four years ago, but it was clear that he only wanted to peddle his wares. He was quickly run off.

The fact that the business continues to exist is an embarrassment to us. We want no association with it. If any of you know local homebrewers who are unaware of Tom's business practices and who make purchases there, please urge them to stop. This is a business that should cease to exist.

It really is sickening to see Tom gloat in his increased search engine rankings as a result of this story. I urge WHNT to replace the link on its story to the BBB page on this business.

Why not just be honest ??

Great news video

The plm with lying is you have to remember too much..

I recieved my order after about 2 weeks. Not bad all considered but I was worried after what I read here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back