what can my krausen tell me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbarto

Reaction score
I was wondering if the properties of my krausen can tell me anything about the beer. Anyone know? I don't have a lot of brews in but have definitely seen a lot of variability... tall vs. short, long-lasting vs brief, etc. I have done two brews since I got my O2 aeration system and both times the krausen has been very compact (no big bubbles) and not tall at all.

I like looking at it. It moves, expands, shifts, grows, and deflates in varying degrees from miniscule to moderate, with the occasional strong burst of gas popping through now and then. It has bizarre looking grunge on top of it reminiscent of sea foam and wrack left by wind-whipped waves on the beach at the edges of the ocean. I imagine that I'm gazing into an alien landscape sometimes, like the hard and crusty-looking surface of the red planet. Yet, the kraeusen is really quite ephemeral and insubstantial.

It's a wonder. It tells me that there is much about beer brewing that appeals to my imagination and imparts a sense of awe regarding the processes involved.

beer4breakfast said:
... reminiscent of sea foam and wrack left by wind-whipped waves on the beach at the edges of the ocean. I imagine that I'm gazing into an alien landscape sometimes, like the hard and crusty-looking surface of the red planet. Yet, the kraeusen is really quite ephemeral and insubstantial...

Wow, I think I need to stare at mine a little more!

If your Krausen says anything, you might want to start brewing smaller beers, or perhaps bigger, depending on the conversation!

seriously, I only use the height of the krausen as any indication, mainly just curiousity as to how strong the peak fermentation was.

My krausen talked to me once. It was like "hey, man, close the door! you're letting the f-ing light in, you think drinking skunk is bad--- imagine what it'd be like in this carboy!" and I was like 'damn-- I am so not mixing rum, tequila and jager bombs again"

Back