Calculating Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarrelOfBrew

Reaction score
I am having some trouble finding info on how to do this, and my searches on HBT didn't turn up anything I could use. We are making a batch of semi-sweet grapefruit wine, according to the Jack Keller recipe. I posted in the thread on grapefruit, but I wanted to start a separate thread on this because it's not really about the grapefruit.

We followed the recipe, pitched the yeast, etc., without problems. The recipe calls for adding sugar 2 days into the primary fermentation, which we did, but we foolishly did not take extra gravity measurements before and after adding more sugar.

In a 3 gallon batch, our OG was 1.073, and we added 4 lbs of sugar (two days later). How do I calculate the revised OG?

Much thanks in advance,

BoB

I am having some trouble finding info on how to do this, and my searches on HBT didn't turn up anything I could use. We are making a batch of semi-sweet grapefruit wine, according to the Jack Keller recipe. I posted in the thread on grapefruit, but I wanted to start a separate thread on this because it's not really about the grapefruit.

We followed the recipe, pitched the yeast, etc., without problems. The recipe calls for adding sugar 2 days into the primary fermentation, which we did, but we foolishly did not take extra gravity measurements before and after adding more sugar.

In a 3 gallon batch, our OG was 1.073, and we added 4 lbs of sugar (two days later). How do I calculate the revised OG?

Much thanks in advance,

BoB

One pound of sugar dissolved in one U.S. gallon* of water will float the hydrometer to the 1.046.

So lets use some flawed math here. 3 lbs of sugar will raise the SG .046 the extra lb dissolved in 3 gallons of water should raise it and additional .015.

So the total increase should be around .061

Thank you! This puts my revised OG at about 1.130 .

The yeast is loving it. Right now the airlock activity is 2-3 bubbles per second.

Back